Road Occupancy Permit


A Road Occupancy Permit is required when an individual, company or contractor needs to occupy City property such as the road, sidewalk or boulevard to conduct work or other activities. No portion of the city right-of-way can be blocked without a permit. Fines or an order to stop work may be issued for non-compliance.

It should be noted that depending on the roadway being occupied, an additional permit from the Region of Niagara may also be required.

Applicants must prepare and maintain a Traffic/Pedestrian Protection and Control Plan in accordance to the Occupational Health and Safety Act and The Ontario Traffic Manual (OTM) Book 7.

Applicants must provide a minimum of five million dollars ($5,000,000) inclusive liability insurance with The Corporation of The City of Niagara Falls as the certificate holder on the City's Standard Certificate of Insurance form.

Applicants must provide the permit issuer with a WSIB clearance certificate, valid for the duration of the work on the City’s property.


Applicants must fill out the Road Occupancy Permit Application, agree to follow the Road Occupancy Permit General Conditions and provide a minimum of five (5) working days prior to the proposed start date of the work. Forms can be submitted in person at City Hall in the Engineering Department or emailed to Sam Mirabelli or Josh Caughell . If approved, a permit number will be assigned along with an amount due for the security deposit if required.


A standard three hundred-fifty dollars ($350) administration fee and security deposit must be made in person with cash, cheque or debit prior to occupying the city right-of-way.

For more information contact the Engineering Department at City Hall. The security deposit amount will be determined by the Municipal Works Permit Coordinator at the time of application. Once all work is completed to the city’s satisfaction, the applicant must fill out the ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER AUTHORIZATION FORM and submit it to the Supervisor of Accounting as indicated on page 1 of the document.

City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street
Niagara Falls, ON
Canada L2E 6X5