City Hall and the MacBain Community Centre Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
*Update* Water Policies
Effective January 1, 2024 The City of Niagara Falls will no longer establish accounts in a tenant’s name. Starting new tenant accounts and billing of new tenant accounts will no longer occur. New water accounts must be opened and billed in the name of the registered owner(s) of the property and not the name of any tenant(s). A listing of Frequently Asked Questions can be found here. These FAQs are specifically for the changes to 700.23 Water/Sewer Collection Policy and the repeal of policy 700.28 Water/Sewer Tenant Account Policy.
Effective January 1, 2024 all property owners with water services will be billed for the fixed charges on their water and and wastewater billing unless there is no structure with access to water on the property. This change represents the City’s requirement to maintain and replace the municipal portion of services to the property line. A listing of Frequently Asked Questions can be found here. These FAQs are specifically for the changes to 700.27 Water Disconnection and Reconnection Policy.
- Paid through your financial institution in person, by telephone banking or online banking.
- By signing up for Pre-Authorized Water Bill Payments. Visit the Pre-Authorized Water Payments page for details and an application form.
- By Drop Boxes, which are available:
- Outside City Hall on the Erie Avenue side of the building or at the front door of City Hall facing Queen Street.
- Outside the main entrance of the Macbain Community Centre and inside the main building beside the office entrance.
- In person at City Hall or the Macbain Community Centre.
- Through your MyCity Dashboard account with a credit card (convenience fee applied).
Tenant Water Accounts
- If you are a tenant moving out of your current property please email [email protected] or call 905-356-7521 ext. 4347 before your move date. Please indicate the date you are moving out and a forwarding address for your final bill.
- New Tenants must complete a Tenant Connection Agreement in person, at either City Hall, 4310 Queen St, or the MacBain Community Centre, 7150 Montrose Rd, and submit a mandatory Security Deposit based on meter size (by cash or debit only). Once we have received your Tenant Connection Agreement, we will schedule a water meter reading and start your account. New accounts cannot be backdated, so please ensure that your Tenant Connection Agreement and Security Deposit is received prior to your move in date. Please call 905-356-7521 ext. 4347 or email [email protected] for further instructions on completing an agreement and providing a deposit.
Owner Property Sales
- If you are selling or purchasing a property, please have your lawyer send a Letter of Notification for the upcoming move requesting a final meter reading. This letter should include the name of the seller(s) and forwarding address for final billing, the name of the purchaser(s), the expected closing date and contact information for the Purchaser's Lawyer. Once the sale closes, the Purchaser's Lawyer must send a copy of the Deed so we can officially set up a new account in your name and update the information with our Property Tax Department. The Letter of Notification and Deed can be sent by email to [email protected] or by fax at 905-356-2082.
Access your Water Account online
Visit the MyCity Dashboard to create a profile and add your water account(s) for immediate access to:
- View billing and payment history;
- Pay your water bill using a credit card (convenience fee will apply);
- See your usage and compare your annual consumption;
- Report meter readings;
- Report your move or property sale;
- Change your mailing address or billing method.
By Email: [email protected]
By Phone: 905-356-7521 extension 4347 for general inquiries
For all other finance related inquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Water Rate card details information about the current Water and Sewer Rates. You can also view the current Water By-law for additional details.
Water and Property Tax Rebate
2023 Application Period is Closed
A $102.00 Water Account and/or a $80.00 Property Tax Account Rebate is available to those who meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a recipient of the Federal Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).
- Must be a City of Niagara Falls Water Account Holder who is residing at the property and/or,
- Must be a City of Niagara Falls Registered Property Owner who is residing at the property.
For more information, please contact our Finance Department at 905-356-7521 extension 4888, or by email at [email protected].
How to Apply:
Applications will be be available during the fiscal year between August 1st - October 31st online or in person at City Hall, located at 4310 Queen Street, or the MacBain Community Centre, located at 7150 Montrose Road. The following documentation is required with your application:
- Proof of Address/Identification - Driver's Licence or other (ie. Utility bill other than water or property taxes).
- Proof of Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) for 2023 - Entitlement Letter for GIS from Service Canada. Your Letter of Entitlement is mailed to you by Revenue Canada in July of each year. You can visit your Canada.ca My Service Account to access this information. The City of Niagara Falls is not authorized to retrieve this information on your behalf, it is the applicants responsibility to provide the necessary documentation.
- Proof of Ontario Disability Support Program for 2023 - Confirmation Letter from ODSP Caseworker.
Completed applications and supporting documentation can be submitted in the following ways:
- In person at City Hall, located at 4310 Queen Street, Niagara Falls, ON
- In person at the MacBain Community Centre, located at 7150 Montrose Road, Niagara Falls, ON
- By one of our Drop Boxes, located outside City Hall and the MacBain Community Centre. Please label your sealed envelope "Water/Property Tax Rebate"
- By email to [email protected]
- By Mail to:
c/o Water/Tax Rebate Program
4310 Queen Street
P.O. Box 1023
Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6X5
When and How is the Rebate received?
The rebate will be applied as a credit on your Water Account by the end of 2023 and will show as a credit under the adjustment line of your bill.
Note: One rebate per household. The GIS and ODSP Water and Property Tax Rebate(s) cannot be combined.
The 2023 application period is closed.
Relevant Reports and Policies