Please view the COVID-19 Building Related Updates for Building information during the pandemic.
Building Services is responsible to ensure that all building construction governed by a building permit meets the minimum acceptable standard as required by statutory authority under the Building Code Act. This is accomplished through the processing of all building permits, the review of applications for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, and the site inspection of all construction projects.
Building Services is also responsible to ensure that minimum standards of property maintenance are enforced through the Property Standards By-law in order to protect the members of the public from situations that may be unsafe or aesthetically unacceptable. The Department responds to complaints from members of the public. Inspections are then required to confirm a by-law violation. In addition, the Building Division is responsible for the issuance of Sign Permits.
Building Services manages and coordinates the construction, demolition, renovation, maintenance, cleaning, safety and transfer of City owned buildings. Research and implement opportunities for energy conservation in all City buildings.
Functions and Services
- The processing of applications and issuance of permits for building, plumbing, sewer/drains, public and private swimming pools, demolition, conditional building permits, additions and renovation permits and signs on private and public property in accordance with the Ontario Building Code Act and its regulations.
- The inspection of buildings, structures, plumbing, sewer/drains, signs, public and private swimming pools and lot grading in accordance with the Ontario Building Code Act, Property Standards By-law, Subdivision and Site Plan Agreements.
- Issuance of Orders under the Ontario Building Code Act and the initiation of legal action, as appropriate, where it is investigated and found that there is non-compliance with the Act or the Ontario Building Code or relevant By-laws.
- Responding to Solicitors regarding property transactions by providing zoning and work order information.
- Lot Grading Control Compliance in accordance with our Lot Grading Policy.
- Inspection Services for Liquor License Compliance.
- Inspection Services for Business License Applications.
- Respond, record and track enquiries and complaints from the General Public and Building Owners for the purpose of enforcing the City Property Standards By-law.
- Review and provide comments for Committee of Adjustments, Site Plan Agreements, Subdivision Agreements, Land Severance Applications.
- Maintain records, prepare and provide statistical reports, collect all related permit and development fees.
- Management of capital projects for City owned buildings.
City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street, PO Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada