Risk Management at the City of Niagara Falls investigates and responds to the claims made against the City. All claims made against the City must be filed in accordance with the following:
1. Time Limits for Filing a Claim
If your claim involves the maintenance of a highway pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001 section 44 (10), you have ten (10) days from the date of the occurrence within which to file your claim in writing with the City.
2. Notice of Claim in writing
When filing your notice of claim with the City, it must be submitted in writing and must contain the following information:
- name, address and telephone number of the person making the claim
- if your matter involves a vehicle, please provide the make, model and year. The owner of the vehicle must sign the letter.
- date of occurrence (must include: day, month and year)
- location of occurrence (i.e. 1111 Main Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario)
- time of day when occurrence happened
- a brief description of the occurrence
- specifically identify the value of all loss sustained as a result of the occurrence (copies of estimates or paid invoices)
- include PHOTO evidence
- address your letter to the CITY CLERK
- sign your letter
- date your letter
Please note: Claims must be submitted in writing and cannot be accepted through email or fax.
3. Serving your Claim on the City
Once you have created a written notice of claim, it must be served on the City by delivering it in person or sending it by registered mail to:
The Corporation of the City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street
P.O. Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Should you have any questions, please contact the Risk Management Administrator at 905-356-7521, extension 6700.