Cannabis Facilities and Operations - Proposed City Planning
The City's Planning, Building & Development Department with SGL Planning & Design Consultants are conducting a study of the cultivation, processing of cannabis and the policies and regulations for the siting of cannabis facilities and operations. The Consultants have prepared a draft report which reviews the relevant Federal and Provincial legislation and licensing, discusses the current planning framework in Niagara Falls, and examines the best practices and standards used in other municipalities.
Have your Say
The City wants to give you an opportunity to learn about the Consultant's findings. The draft report is available here: /attachments/pdf/planning/cannabis-study/nf-cannabis-report-final.pdf. Additionally, there is a video recording from a virtual Open House meeting available on the City's YouTube Site.
You may participate by -
- Sending your written comments either by mail to the Niagara Falls Planning Department or email to [email protected].
- Joining the City contact list. If you do not want to make any comment but would like to be on the contact list for any future information or meetings, please only click "Sign-up for Updates" on letstalk.niagarafalls.ca.
Current Planning Applications
The following applications are being presented at an Open House:
- 6663 & 6683 Stanley Avenue and 5640 & 5582 Dunn Street
- 5769-5781 Victoria Ave, 5715 Ellen Ave & 5072 Magdalen St
The following applications are being considered by Council:
- City-initiated Sign By-Law Amendment - please click here for a draft copy of the revised by-law
- 5287, 5359, 5401, 5411 & 5427 River Road & 4465 Eastwood Crescent
- Land on the Southwest Corner of McLeod Road and Alex Avenue
- 4457 Ferguson Street
- 5525 Victoria Avenue & 4858 Kitchener Street
- East end of Thorold Stone Rd adjacent to CN Railway
- 4751 Morrison Street
For details about any of the above applications, please visit the Planning Dropbox folder.
The following applications are being considered by the Committee of Adjustment at a Remote Electronic Public Hearing
- Proposed Lot 5 Chippawa West (9370 Emerald Avenue)
- 3293 St. George Avenue
- 4705 Lee Avenue
For details about these applications, please visit the Planning Dropbox folder.
Planning, Building and Development is responsible for land use management and building construction. Growth to 2031 is directed through a long range planning document called the Official Plan. Zoning By-laws set out regulation on permitted uses, setbacks and development requirements. Construction is implemented through Building and Demolition permits issued under the Ontario Building Code.
The Planning Division is comprised of the Policy and Current Development Sections. These Sections are responsible for amendments to the Official Plan and Zoning By-laws which are considered at Public Meetings held by City Council. Minor Variances to the Zoning By-laws are considered by the Committee of Adjustment. Secondary Plans are prepared to direct future development in new “greenfield” areas.
In new growth areas, development occurs through the Subdivision Process to create streets, lots for houses and blocks for apartments, parks and schools. Within the built-up areas of the City, individual lots may be created through consents to sever land, where roads and services exist. Prior to construction of new commercial and industrial operations or apartment and townhouse projects, builders and developers must obtain a Site Plan Agreement through Planning staff.
Planning and Building maintain statistics on building permits, housing population and future land supply. Planning also maintains an inventory of built and natural environmental hazards and heritage architecture.
Functions & Services
- Zoning By-law
- Zoning By-law Amendments
- Consent (Severance)
- Minor Variance
- Plan of Subdivision/Condominium
- Part Lot Control
- Site Plan
Long Range Planning
- Official Plan
- Official Plan Amendments
- Secondary Plans
- Built Heritage
- Natural Heritage
- Community Improvement Plans
City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street, PO Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada