As an appointed body of volunteers, the Arts, Culture & Museum Committee will assist City staff in creating a dynamic and vibrant City. The committee will assist in the development of policies and plans; will act as an advocate for arts, culture, and heritage providers throughout the community and will provide informed perspectives on arts, culture, and heritage related matters in the City. View the list of current committee members.
To get our monthly enewsletter "Cultural Currents", please sign up on the City newsletter page.
The Committee oversees the actions set out in the Culture Plan for the City of Niagara Falls. This plan was passed in 2014 by City Council.
Niagara Falls Cultural Development Fund
In 2016, the City of Niagara Falls established a fund for cultural activities in the community. Check out the details on the Fund page. The 2018 NFCDF has now opened and has a deadline of January 31st, 2018.
Allister Young Arts & Culture Endowment Fund
The City of Niagara Falls Arts, Culture & Museum Committee invites interested individuals to apply to the Allister Young Arts & Culture Endowment Fund.
In 1997, Mr. Allister Young donated a 1932 Ford Roadster to the then Arts and Culture Commission. The car was raffled off and the money raised from the sale of tickets was used to establish an Arts and Culture Endowment Fund to support artistic development.
Applicants to the fund must be residents of Niagara Falls in their high school graduating year or older and active artists in any creative arts field. Please note that applicants are not required to be students. Eligible artists ages 16 to 100 are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must submit a resume with a digital portfolio, video, or examples of written or performance work, a written artist statement and statement of intention.
The annual deadline for submissions is March 15th of each year.
One award of $1000 will be awarded to one individual per year.
Past recipients include;
2018 - Aaron Berger & Jana Jaros
2017 - Sara Lou Stuart
2016 - Tristain Zammitt
2015 - Carl David Onofrio
2014 - Emily Andrews
2013 - Lynzey Ruscitti
2012 - Nicole Panday & Stephanie Oliver
The Guidelines and Application form is available for download. A hard copy of the application form can be picked up at the Niagara Falls History Museum, 5810 Ferry Street, please call in advance to ensure a copy is available for pick up (905-358-5082).
The City of Niagara Falls 3rd Annual Art Show & Competition
Calling artists of all ages! The City of Niagara Falls Art Show will take place at the Victoria Avenue Public Library Thursday, March 29 to Saturday, April 28, 2018. The competition is open to all Niagara Falls residents and students attending school in Niagara Falls. There is no fee to enter; however all participants are asked to register online in advance (registration will close two days before the show).
An exhibition of all artwork will be open to the public from Saturday, March 31 during regular Library hours. The exhibit will hang for the full month of April where everyone can view the collection and vote for their favorite artwork for the People’s Choice Award. A public presentation of the awards will take place on Saturday, April 28 at 1pm.
Cash prizes awarded for the top artworks in any medium [painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, digital art, etc.]. Ceremony is Saturday April 28th 1:00 pm in the LaMarsh Room.
- Best in Show
- Youth Award [11-18 years]
- Mayor’s Choice
- People’s Choice
- Children 10 years of age and under are invited to submit their work for public display.
Trophies will go to the Judges’/Mayor’s Choice and the People’s Choice for the overall best work (all winners get an engraved keeper plaque).
Terms and Conditions of Entry:
- Each artist may submit one work of art to the contest.
- Artwork must be original and completed within the last 12 months.
- Artwork must be ready to hang.
- Artwork must fit through a standard height door, no larger than 36” x 96” (91 cm x 2.4 m).
- Artwork must be labeled clearly on the back or underside (for blind judging purposes) with the artist’s name, age, and phone number. All works will be labeled at intake.
- Artists must register for the art contest and artists under 18 years of age require a parent/guardian’s signature.
- Art must be delivered to the Niagara Falls Public Library, Victoria Branch, to the Gallery between 5 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 29, 2018.
- Art must be picked up by 3:00 on Sunday, April 28. Any artwork remaining after April 28 will become the property of the City of Niagara Falls. All works must be signed out before they are taken home.
- No consumable materials will be used in the manufacture of any artwork.
- Winners’ names and photos may be published in the local media.
- Winner’s artwork will be requested to be on display at City Hall for the month of May.
- The City of Niagara Falls assures that reasonable care will be taken in the handling of all artwork, but does not accept responsibility for loss or damage.
All art must be delivered to the Library on Thursday, March 29, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. The competition will be closed to the public until Saturday, March 31 for judging. An exhibition of all artwork will be open to the public during regular Library hours. A public presentation of the awards will take place on Saturday, April 28, at 1:30 p.m., after which time pieces of art can be removed by their owners.
Niagara Falls Arts, Culture & Museum Committee. The Art Competition is free to enter and available to all Niagara Falls residents. All participants are asked to register online in advance.
For Information please call or email Kim Van Stygeren
Artists must pre-register online for the show.
Stamford Collegiate Alumni Association Award in Memory of Barbara Frum
Established in 1992, this award is presented to an organization or individual who has enhanced the quality of our lives by virtue of his or her "outstanding contribution to fostering and developing arts and culture opportunities in Niagara Falls". Nominations due early September each year. Learn more about the Barbara Frum Award.
Arts & Culture - Wall of Fame
The Arts, Culture & Museum Committee's Purpose is to foster, develop and unite artistic and cultural activities in the community. Through an Arts & Culture Wall of Fame initiative the community will have the opportunity to celebrate the many outstanding accomplishments of its past and present citizens, as well as the works of art that reflect the best of Niagara Falls. View the inductees and learn more about the Wall of Fame.
Community Culture Events and Links
Cultural Program Assistant
City of Niagara Falls
5810 Ferry Street
Niagara Falls, ON L2G 1S9