As an appointed body of volunteers, the Culture Committee will assist City staff in creating a dynamic and vibrant City. The committee will assist in the development of policies and plans; will act as an advocate for arts, culture, and heritage providers throughout the community and will provide informed perspectives on arts, culture, and heritage related matters in the City. View the list of current committee members.
To get our monthly eNewsletter "Cultural Currents", please sign up on the City newsletter page.
The Committee oversees the actions set out in the Culture Plan for the City of Niagara Falls. This plan was passed in 2014 by City Council.
Niagara Falls Cultural Development Fund
In 2016, the City of Niagara Falls established a fund for cultural activities in the community. We have provided support to many projects, events and creations since the inception of the Fund. Check out the details on the Fund page.
Allister Young Arts & Culture Endowment Fund
The City of Niagara Falls Culture Committee invites interested individuals to apply to the Allister Young Arts & Culture Endowment Fund. Application Form
In 1997, Mr. Allister Young donated a 1932 Ford Roadster to the then Arts and Culture Commission. The car was raffled off and the money raised from the sale of tickets was used to establish an Arts and Culture Endowment Fund to support artistic development.
Applicants to the fund must be residents of Niagara Falls in their high school graduating year or older and active artists in any creative arts field. Please note that applicants are not required to be students. Eligible artists ages 16 to 100 are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must submit a resume with a digital portfolio, video, or examples of written or performance work, a written artist statement and statement of intention.
The annual deadline for submissions is March 15th of each year.
One award of $1000 will be awarded to one individual per year.
Past recipients include;
2023 - Eve Atoms
2022 - Dillon Douglas
2020 - Leona Skye Grandmond
2019 - Ashlee Standish
2018 - Aaron Berger & Jana Jaros
2017 - Sara Lou Stuart
2016 - Tristain Zammitt
2015 - Carl David Onofrio
2014 - Emily Andrews
2013 - Lynzey Ruscitti
2012 - Nicole Panday & Stephanie Oliver
The Guidelines and Application form is available online.
The City of Niagara Falls Art Exhibition
Call to Artists!
Details to be announced.
|Event||Date ||Time |
|Delivery of Art: |
|Open to Public: |
|Award Ceremony: |
An exhibition of all artworks will be open to the public beginning September 14th during regular Museum hours. There is no fee to enter the museum gallery hosting the art show.
The Awards ceremony will be held at the Exchange, on TBD.
A cash award will be given for the artworks selected as: Jury's Selection; Mayor’s Selection and People’s Choice. Ballots for People’s Choice will be accepted at reception at the Museum.
Artwork may be presented in any medium: painting, drawing, photography, fibre or digital art.
Sculpture is not accepted at this time.
Terms and Conditions of Entry
- There is no fee to enter.
- The competition is open to all Niagara Falls residents 18+.
- Each artist may submit one work of art to the Art Exhibition.
- Artwork must be original and not previously entered into the Niagara Falls Art Exhibition.
- Artwork must be delivered to the Niagara Falls History Museum, OPG Gallery September 11th, between 10am-2pm. No artwork will be accepted before or after this time.
- Winner’s artwork may be requested to be on display at City Hall for the month of October.
- The City of Niagara Falls assures that reasonable care will be taken in the handling of all artworks but does not accept responsibility for loss or damage.
- Artists to allow Art Show & Competition organizers the use of artwork imagery for social media and/or promotional purposes for the Niagara Falls Art Exhibition only.
- Winners’ to provide Art Exhibition organizers permission to have their names and photos published.
How to Enter
- Must fill out an entry form including one image of your work HERE.
- Artwork must be ready to hang with proper hanging hardware.
- Artwork must fit through a standard height door, no larger than 36” x 96” (91 cm x 2.4 m).
- Artwork must be labeled clearly on the back or underside with the artist’s name, age, and phone number. All works will also be labeled at intake.
- No consumable materials will be used in the manufacture of any artwork.
- Artists must upload 1 jpeg of their work. If incomplete at time of registration, please indicate in entry form. The image must be:
- Straight on image, centered in the picture frame but not cropped in any way
- Labelled with artists’ last name.first initial
- No larger than 2MB
The Annual Art Exhibition is presented by the Niagara Falls Culture Committee.
For more information contact:
Kim Van Stygeren, Cultural Development Coordinator
City of Niagara Falls
Stamford Collegiate Alumni Association Award in Memory of Barbara Frum
Established in 1992, this award is presented to an organization or individual who has enhanced the quality of our lives by virtue of his or her "outstanding contribution to fostering and developing arts and culture opportunities in Niagara Falls". Nominations due early September each year. Learn more about the Barbara Frum Award.
Arts & Culture - Wall of Fame
The Arts, Culture & Museum Committee's Purpose is to foster, develop and unite artistic and cultural activities in the community. Through an Arts & Culture Wall of Fame initiative the community will have the opportunity to celebrate the many outstanding accomplishments of its past and present citizens, as well as the works of art that reflect the best of Niagara Falls. View the inductees and learn more about the Wall of Fame.
Community Culture Events and Links
Kim Van Stygeren
Cultural Development Coordinator
City of Niagara Falls
5810 Ferry Street
Niagara Falls, ON L2G 1S9