Crush the Curve kicks off in Niagara with yellow lighting of the falls for hope during COVID-19 crisis
Inspired by our local hoteliers who spelled the word “HOPE” and created shapes of hearts in lit hotel room windows to help unite with the world during the COVID-19 crisis, the International Illumination Board recently decided to light the falls yellow to share this message of hope on a grand scale.
The falls, once illuminated yellow, tonight helps kick off a regional Crush the Curve campaign. Niagara Mayors and Regional Chair who have been meeting regularly throughout this crisis have been actively working to introduce a proactive and empowering way to help share critical and important information throughout their communities. It was felt that raising awareness could be achieved without raising anxiety and inciting fear. This is the motivation behind Crush the Curve.
Crush the Curve invites families, businesses and everyone everywhere to be a part of the proactive movement to keep our communities safe. Not only are we going to be incorporating Crush the Curve as part of ongoing municipal initiatives to keep people protected, we are helping to spread the word to the greater community. Everyone has a part in Crushing the Curve and therefore, residents are being encouraged to take and share photos illustrating creative ways they are staying in, practicing proper social and physical distancing and more, in order to help the cause.
“I know the fierce spirit of our community is alive and well. We lit our hotel room windows to send a message to the world and we continue to shout that message from the rooftops with Crush the Curve. I challenge communities around the world to light their landmarks in yellow, the colour of hope. I know it will be a moving site when all of our global landmarks are lit yellow in solidarity and when children are using yellow chalk to write Crush the Curve on their sidewalks. We are all in this together.”
- Jim Diodati, Mayor, City of Niagara Falls
- The Canadian Horseshoe and American Falls will be lit yellow, nightly, for the coming weeks. Illumination will begin tonight and will take place at the following times each night: 8:30PM, 9:30PM, 10:30PM and 11:30PM for 15 minutes
- Illumination details can be found at: https://www.niagaraparks.com/events/event/falls-illumination/
- For information on how you can be of help and donate to Crush the Curve www.CrushtheCurve.ca and [email protected]
- Photo credit “yellow falls” Christine Hess www.christinehess.com
For more information, or to speak with Mayor Diodati contact:
Manager, Office of the Mayor and CAO
City of Niagara Falls
Phone: 905 356 7521 ext. 4206
Cell: 905 380 4594
Email: [email protected]