As residents welcome one of the first signs of spring this weekend, the Niagara Falls Fire Department is asking them to welcome fire safety into their homes and to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms when they spring their clocks forward early Sunday morning.
We want all the residents of Niagara Falls to be safe from fire, and having working smoke alarms is the first line of defense. Changing the batteries and testing is the only way to be fully protected. Residents should use this opportunity to be sure their alarms are working.
Early warning is the key to making an escape and only working smoke and CO alarms will give you that early warning. And the easiest way to make sure they work is to replace the batteries and test them states Public Education Officer Ron Massolin. “Everyone will remember to change their clocks this weekend and we hope they will use that as a reminder to take fire safety in their homes seriously” added Massolin.
The Niagara Falls Fire Department wants the public to know that there have been 16 deaths related to fire in Ontario already this year and in most fire fatalities, lack of early warning systems like smoke alarms, are contributing factors to the loss of life. “For the small cost of a few batteries, residents can go to bed knowing their families are safe by being alerted to a fire and having time to escape” adds Fire Chief Jim Boutilier.
It is the law in Ontario to have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms must be installed outside all sleeping areas if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace, or attached garage.
Failing to install smoke or carbon monoxide alarms is against the law and involves stiff penalties for non compliance.
For more information, contact:
Ben Trendle, Chief Fire Prevention Officer
Niagara Falls Fire Department
Phone: 905-356-1321 ext. 2211
Email: [email protected]