Welcome to the Niagara Falls Spooky Awards!
The 2nd Annual Niagara Falls Spooky Awards will start to accept nominations on October 1, 2021.
Thank you to all who participated in the first ever Niagara Falls Spooky Awards! In total, there were 56 properties that were geared up to scare all that came to visit. The Spooky Awards is a free, COVID-19 friendly, festive initiative to encourage residents of Niagara Falls to "dress up" the exterior of their homes in family-oriented Halloween decor. The event is free to all residential properties to participate.
- 2020 Judges' Favorite Winner - 2570 Kalar Road
- 2020 Best Effects Winner - 6467 Burdette Drive
- 2020 People’s Choice Winner - 5866 Delaware Street
The Spooky Awards has a spooky Facebook events page where you can upload all of your favourite photos and videos.
How Can I Participate?
There are two ways to participate.
- You can dress up your home in family Halloween décor and submit a free entry online to qualify for prizes. Entry for the 2021 contest will open October 1, 2021.
- And/or you can simply follow the Spooky Map from October 29 to 31 to see all of the entries and vote for the People’s Choice Award. Cast your vote online for your favorite display. Voting will close on October 31, 11:59 p.m. The Spooky Map will be uploaded later in October.
Rules For Decorating Entries
- Decorations should not cover/interfere with any fire safety equipment or sidewalks/walkways.
- Keep everything PG-13!
- Contest is limited to exterior and window decorations visible from the curbside.
- If able, decorations must be lit at night during the competition (until 9:00 p.m.) so they can be easily seen by residents.
- Decorations must be completed and ready to view no later than October 29, 2021 by 4:00 p.m., when public voting will begin.
- Participants must agree to have photos of their decorations posted on the voting online pages.
- Participants will be provided a lawn sign designating their home as a contest entry. This sign must be placed in a prominent location (view from the curbside) in your yard. You will need to pick-up your lawn sign from the My City Customer Service Desk at the MacBain Community Centre, located at 7150 Montrose Road during regular business hours.
Rules For Judges and the People’s Choice Awards Entries
- Assessments will be conducted from the curbside only. Judges and residents are not to leave their vehicles to view the decorations.
- Do not block traffic while assessing a property. Be courteous to others participating.
- Voting for the People’s Choice category will take place from 4 p.m. on October 29 through 11:59 p.m., October 31, 2021.
- Voting will be open to all residents and visitors during the voting period (one vote per voter). Cast your vote on this website! Link will be uploaded closer to Halloween.
For the Judges Favorite, displays will be assessed on the following scoring scheme:
- Originality (20 marks)
- Overall theme (20 marks)
- Creative use of lights and special effects (20 marks)
- Detail/placement of decorations (20 marks)
- Overall Presentation (20 marks)
Scoring for the Best Effects Award will be out of 20 marks. The People's Choice Award will be done by online voting only.
For more information on the program, please email or call Recreation & Culture at 905-356-7521 ext.3341 during regular business hours.