Enter your Halloween Decorated house into the first-ever Spooky Awards for a chance to win great prizes and be crowned a Spooky Award Winner!
Deadline for entries is October 26th at 4 p.m.! Click here to enter!
The Spooky Awards is a free, COVID-19 friendly, festive initiative to encourage residents of Niagara Falls to "dress up" the exterior of their homes in family-oriented Halloween decor from October 29 until October 31, 2020. Participants will have a chance to win fabulous prizes in three separate categories:
- Judges' Favorite (a panel of City officials and members of Niagara Falls Comic Con)
- Best Effects
- People’s Choice (voted by the public)
Share Your Photos
The Spooky Awards has a spooky Facebook events page where you can upload all of your favourite photos and videos.
How Can I Participate?
There are two ways to participate.
- You can dress up your home in family Halloween décor and submit a free entry online to qualify for prizes.
- And/or you can simply follow the Spooky Map from October 29 to 31, 2020 to see all of the entries and vote for the People’s Choice Award. The Spooky Map will be posted on this page and available for download starting October 28, 2020 by 4 p.m. Cast your vote online for your favorite display.
Rules For Decorating Entries
- Decorations should not cover/interfere with any fire safety equipment or sidewalks/walkways.
- Contest is limited to exterior and window decorations visible from the curbside.
- If able, decorations must be lit at night during the competition (until 9:00 pm) so they can be easily seen by residents.
- Decorations must be completed and ready to view no later than October 29, 2020 by 4:00 pm, when public voting will begin.
- Participants must agree to have photos of their decorations posted on the contest map and voting online pages.
- Participants will be provided a lawn sign designating their home as a contest entry. This sign must be placed in a prominent location (view from the curbside) in your yard. You will need to pick-up your lawn sign from the My City Customer Service Desk at the MacBain Community Centre, located at 7150 Montrose Road during regular business hours.
Rules For Judges and the People’s Choice Awards Entries
- Assessments will be conducted from the curbside only. Judges and residents are not to leave their vehicles to view the decorations.
- Do not block traffic while assessing a property. Be courteous to others participating.
- Voting for the People’s Choice category will take place from 4 p.m. on October 29 through 11:59 p.m., October 31, 2020.
- Voting will be open to all residents and visitors during the voting period.
For the Judges Favorite, displays will be assessed on the following scoring scheme:
- Originality - 20 marks
- Overall theme - 20 marks
- Creative use of lights and special effects - 20 marks
- Detail/placement of decorations - 20 marks
- Overall Presentation - 20 marks
Scoring for the Best Effects Award will be out of 20 marks. The People's Choice Award will be done by online voting only.
For more information on the program, please email or call Recreation & Culture at 905-356-7521 ext.3341.