- Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc.
- Mullen Garden Market
- Niagara Falls Horticultural Society
Award Ceremony Sponsor
- Re/Max Niagara Realty Ltd. Brokerage,
Daniela Mitrovic & Kathy Tsiantoulas
NOMINATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR 2023 - UNTIL JULY 1, 2023
Before making your nomination, ensure that you have the complete address information (including street number, street name and postal code). If you are nominating someone's else's property, you should acquire permission from the own to nominate their property. Only properties within the boundaries of the City of Niagara Falls will be accepted.
Click here to make your nomination.
The Niagara Falls Summer Trillium Awards presented by Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc. is a program to encourage residents to enhance their curbside landscaping. This beautification program is held annually and is free for all properties owners to enter. Properties must be located within the City of Niagara Falls. There is no cost to participate. You can nominate your own property or someone else's property (with their permission) to be assessed by horticultural enthusiasts to try to achieve either
a bronze, silver or gold trillium rating. Details on how properties are assessed, and trillium rating explanations can be found below.
Be sure to check out the Thanks Little Farm Online Garden Series below for tips on how to beautify your garden!
The 2023 program nominations are accept online through to July 1, 2023.
- Nominations will be accepted online from June 1 to July 1, 2023.
- Notice of nominations will be mailed to each nominated property by July 7, 2023.
- Curbside pictures of all participating properties will be taken on Wednesday, July 19, 2023 between
8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Ensure to have your garage door closed and avoid parking along the curbside.
- Assessments will take place off-site on Thursday, July 27, 2023.
- Notices of award achievements will be mailed on August 4, 2023 to participating properties.
- The Recognition of Excellence Ceremony to take place on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at the Ramada Plaza by Wyndham on Lundy's Lane. Doors open at 6:00 pm with the ceremony starting at 6:30 pm. Limited to 2 people per property to attend. Dress for the ceremony is business casual and we will be taking pictures of each award recipient with attending Council members. Complimentary wine and snacks will be served buffet style.
About the Trillium Recognition Program
The program is brought to you by The Environmental Action Committee through the work of the Trillium Recognition Sub-Committee, with the support of local sponsors. Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc is the presenting sponsor for 2023. The mandate of the program is to foster city-wide beautification efforts from all property owners through recognition and encouragement. Residents are challenged each year to enhance their curbside appeal while utilizing basic horticultural and environmental considerations; they are encouraged, through co-operation, to achieve a level of excellence in developing and maintaining their properties. View the Summer Trillium Program categories.
How to participate and program particulars
All property owners, whether residential, commercial or industrial are welcome to participate--and it's FREE! Residents may nominate their own or another's properties. As a courtesy to your nominee, please ask their permission and let them know what to expect (listed below). Nominations close annually on July 1.
What to expect:
- To submit a nomination you must provide the complete mailing address of the nominated property, their name and contact information (phone & email) and your contact information. All properties must be nominated by July 1, using the online form. If you require assistance, please call the Recreation and Culture Department at 905-356-7521 ext. 3341. If you are nominating someone else's property, please secure their permission to ensure they want the Trillium Sub-Committee to visit and assess their curbside landscape.
- After the nomination period closes on July 1, a letter will be sent to each nominated property owner to remind them that City Staff will visit their property to take photos from the curbside in preparation for evaluation by the Trillium Sub-Committee. This will take place on Wednesday, July 19 during business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm). On Thursday, July 27, the Trillium Sub-Committee will come together to view the photos and complete scoring for each participating property.
- Scores are kept for each category from each committee member. There will be between 4 to 6 mambers who will be conducting assessments (please see the Trillium Categories page for details).
- Photos will be taken of the landscape.
- We recommend that you close your garage door and move your car away from the property, if possible.
- The photographs will be used for scoring purposes and for recognition viewing. Photos may be posted on the City's social media channels, newspaper tributes and on YourTV.
- Once all scores are tabulated later in the summer, property owners will be sent their trillium rating by mail, indicating whether they have earned an Award of Excellence, Gold, Silver, Bronze or Participant rating. Letters are generally sent out a week or so after the assessments have been completed.
- Property owners of Gold, Silver or Bronze ratings will be presented with a plaque and an iron garden stake at the Recognition Ceremony on September 13, 2023.
Assessment of your Property
The Trillium Sub-Committee views property curbside landscaping through photos that are taken in the summer. The Committee will determine how well a property is maintained through a scoring matrix system (Principles of Design, Turf, Plants, Hardscaping Features, Unique Features and Environmental Issues). Properties will be assessed and given a score between 0 and 100. All assessed properties will be notified of their assessment outcome shortly after. Information about the different categories can be found on the Trillium Categories page. We encourage you to try to keep your garage door closed during this time frame as we will be taking pictures of each property that will be utilized to complete your property assessment and for recognition purposes.
2023 Recognition of Excellence Ceremony
Participants will be invited to attend the ceremony to receive their award, which will take place on Wednesday, September 13. The 2023 ceremony will take place at the Ramada Plaza Niagara located on Lundy's Lane. Complimentary finger foods and wine will be served at the event, compliments of Ceremony sponsors Kathy Tsiantoulas and Daniela Mitrovic, the Property Girls from Re/Max Realty. Doors will open at 6:00pm with the ceremony starting at 6:30pm. Participants will be sent a letter in the mail to detail the ceremony particulars. No tickets are needed. Participants will be asked RSVP prior to the event via email or by phone.
Thanks Little Farm: Online Garden Series
Join Debbie Cank-Thatcher online for the Environmental Action Committee's first online gardening series. Debbie is a trained horticulturalist and professional landscaper in Niagara Falls. She is also a Sub-Committee member of the Niagara Falls Summer Trillium Program. Her passion is to help people fall in love with gardening.
Online Gardening Video Tips #1 - Container Potting Soil
Online Gardening Video Tips #2 - Window Boxes
Online Gardening Video Tips #3 - Lawns
Online Gardening Video Tips #4 - Pollinators
2022 Awards Recipients
Curious about how landscapes are scored or what the ratings mean? Learn more about the Summer Trillium Program categories.