All permit applications are subject to a site review and approval by City staff, in accordance with approved policies and guidelines for their issuance. Proof of residency may be required prior to the issuance of a parking permit(s). Allow 1-2 weeks for processing.
The Overnight Parking Request System allows you to make a request to park on the street overnight for special occasions or to accommodate overnight guests effortlessly. You can request an Overnight parking privilege and follow the 4 steps to have your request approved immediately. Overnight parking requests cannot be approved during snow plowing operation events.
Submitting Applications using Google Chrome
It appears you are using the Chrome web browser and have the native PDF plugin enabled. When submitting any PDF forms online, your browser will not take you to the confirmation screen. Your information will still be submitted and you will receive a confirmation email.
Special Services Permits
Health care providers may obtain a "special services permit." This will allow the person providing the special service to park in the permit area for a designated time period (i.e. maximum of three hours). This permit may be obtained provided that:
- Space is available for the motor vehicle to be parked on the street;
- The motor vehicle displaying the special services permit is parked in the permit area no longer than the designated time period;
- The vehicle the permit is requested for is an automobile, station wagon, van, pickup, or other vehicles that is not registered as commercial motor vehicles. Vehicles registered as commercial vehicles but have motor vehicle permits which the Ministry of Transportation has stamped the words "Primarily Personal/Recreational Use" or "P.U.O." are also accepted. Large trucks, buses, or vehicles exceeding 21 feet are not eligible in any case; and,
- The permit application is accompanied by a letter written on company letter head, stating that the person requesting the permit is employed by a health care provider, and requires the permit to carry out their duties within the permit area.
Resident Convenience Parking Pass
The Resident Convenience Parking Pass is for residents that would appreciate forgoing a scramble for change for the meter or automated parking attendant machines. The Resident Convenience Pass will make it easier for those who frequent areas of the City where they have to contend with on-street pay-parking. Download the Resident Convenience Parking Pass Application form.
Residential Parking Permit
Residential daytime parking permits and visitor permits are issued to homeowners ONLY that reside on a street in areas posted as "No Parking, Except by Permit." The area number displayed on the permit must match the area number displayed on the "No Parking, Except by Permit" signs. The permit allows the permit holder to park in designated permit zones for a maximum 12 hour time period, as per the City by-law, except between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
There is no charge for a residential parking permit.
Permits are issued to residents that do not have adequate off-street parking space for vehicles registered to that property and visitors. The license plate of the vehicle must be provided, as it is displayed on the face of the permit. The applicant must demonstrate a need for a residential permit. Download the Residential and Visitor Parking Permit Application form.
Visitor Parking Permit
A Visitor Parking Permit allows the permit holder to park on streets in areas posted as "No Parking, Except by Permit" for a maximum of 4 hours. This permit provides homeowners the flexibility in parking for their guests to park on the roadway in permit regulated areas. This permit is not valid between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
The City is divided into various permit areas. A permit issued to a homeowner who resides in Permit Area 1 allows that individual to park on any street within Permit Area 1, if the space in front of their residence is occupied by another vehicle. The permit does not allow the individual to park in any other Permit Area, nor in municipal parking lots or at on-street metered spaces. Visitor parking permits are free of charge. Download the Residential and Visitor Parking Permit Application form.
Overnight Parking Permit
Overnight parking permits are issued to homeowners that do not have the ability to park all their motor vehicles off the street at night. The existing parking and traffic by-law prohibits on-street parking between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. throughout the entire year, unless the motor vehicle has a valid overnight parking permit. All permit applications are reviewed on an individual basis and approvals are based on hardship and are not granted solely for convenience.
Overnight permits are $84.75 (including applicable taxes). A minimum $25.00 deposit is required at the time of application. Your deposit is reimbursed if your permit is not approved. However, if you withdraw your application, a $25.00 administration fee is retained by staff. The permit is valid for one year upon approval. Download the Overnight Parking Permit Application form.
In order to obtain an overnight parking permit, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must demonstrate a need for an overnight parking permit (i.e. the property has insufficient off-street parking for motor vehicles registered to that property).
- Proof of residency and the motor vehicle registration must be shown before a permit is issued. Both documents must contain the name of the applicant and the correct address. If neither shows the correct address, the applicant must present either a formal lease agreement, utility bill or purchase & sale agreement showing the address where the permit is being sought prior to the permit being issued.
- The vehicle the permit is requested for is an automobile, station wagon, van, pickup, or other vehicles that is not registered as commercial motor vehicles. Company or leased vehicles, are accepted providing the applicant can produce either the lease agreement, or a letter stating that the applicant also operates the vehicle for personal use. Vehicles registered as commercial vehicles but have motor vehicle permits which the Ministry of Transportation has stamped the words "Primarily Personal/Recreational Use" or "P.U.O." are also accepted. Large trucks, buses, or vehicles exceeding 21 feet are not eligible in any case.
Commercial Loading Permits
A commercial loading zone permit allows the permit holder to park at on-street parking meter locations while actively loading and unloading goods for a maximum 30 minute time limit.
This permit is not valid in any Municipal parking lot, nor in areas posted as "no parking", "no stopping", or in designated fire routes.
Business operators may purchase a maximum of one permit for each company motor vehicle. However, the permit(s) is only to be used while on official company business. Personal use of this permit may lead to a parking infraction or cancellation of the permit(s).
The cost for commercial loading zone permits is as follows:
- First such motor vehicle $50.00 Annually
- Second such motor vehicle under the same registered owner as the first permit $10.00 Annually
- Each additional such motor vehicle under the same registered owner as the first and second permits $ 5.00 Annually
Applicable taxes are added to the subtotal. The permit is valid until the end of the calendar year (January 1 to December 31).
Download the Commercial Loading Permit application.
Daytime Parking Permit
Allows permit holder to park on street in front of a specific address in areas posted "No Parking, By Permit Only". Excludes the hours between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Temporary Parking Permit
Temporary parking permits allows the permit holder to park on the street in areas posted as "No Parking, Except by Permit" for a pre-determined time period. The permit is not valid between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
These permits are issued to residents who reside in a permit area who may be hosting a party or other temporary circumstance and require additional on-street parking for up to three days. In addition, institutional buildings that abut a permit area may apply for temporary permits for their functions.
There is no charge to the applicant for temporary parking permits. A minimum 48 hours notice is required in order to prepare the necessary permits.