Rodent Prevention and Control

Rodent Prevention and Control


Whether you own property or rent, live or work in the City of Niagara Falls, everyone has a role in rodent prevention. Rodent proofing your home and property is the most important factor to prevent and control these pests.

For information and tips on how to help prevent and control rodent infestation please visit the Government of Canada website.

Questions or concerns?  Are you experiencing rodents inside your home?  Contact Niagara Region Public Health at 905-356-1538 or visit Niagara Region's website for more information on the control of rodent infestations.

Pest Control Responsibilities

Pest control on private property is the responsibility of the homeowner.  If you require professional services you may wish to contact a licensed pest control company.  Visit for local pest control service providers.

The City of Niagara Falls Property Standards By-Law No. 2015-101 outlines responsibilities in section 2.4 Pest Prevention:

2.4.1      All buildings shall be kept free of conditions that would permit or cause an infestation of rodents, vermin and insects. Methods used for exterminating rodents, vermin or insects shall be in accordance with the provisions of the Environmental Protect Act, the Pesticides Act and any other applicable regulations, acts or municipal by-laws.

2.4.2      Windows used or required for ventilation and every opening in an exterior wall, floor, roof or foundation which could permit the entry of rodents, vermin and insects, shall be screened with wire mesh or such other material as will effectively exclude the same.

2.4.3      For the purpose of this subsection an infestation includes the presence of one rat or mouse, but excludes a domesticated mouse or rat and in the case of insects means the presence of a breeding population of insects, and in the case of wasps, hornets or bees includes the presence of any occupied nest on the interior or attached to the exterior of a dwelling unit.

CONTACT: If you feel a neighbour's home is in disrepair or has garbage and debris on the property which could atrract rats please speak to City property standards staff at 905-356-7521 ext. 4253 or 4265.

CONTACT:  If you see mice or rats entering or exiting a City sewer please contact the Municipal Service Centre at 905-356-1355.  Municipal sewer crews will arrange for the pest control contractor to apply bait to city santiary sewers in the area where rodents where detected in order to help control the population.

Landlord and Tenant Responsibilities

The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 protects tenants and helps landlords.  The Landlord and Tenant Board helps to resolve landlord and tenant disputes including landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities under the Act.

A landlord is responsible to make sure that the property is kept in a good state of repair, is fit to live in and meets all the health and safety standards that apply.  However, both the landlord and tenant have responsibilities when it comes to fixing the problem. The landlord may have to arrange to treat the unit for pests and the tenant may have to do some work in the unit to prepare for these treatments.

A tenant experiencing problems with pests should talk to their landlord, superintendent or property manager immediately. The tenant should ask them in writing to fix the problem and keep a copy of this letter for themself. The landlord will need to fix the problem within a reasonable time.  If the landlord does not fix the problem the tenant may:

  • Contact the Niagara Falls Property Standards Division regarding applicable By-laws at 905-356-7521 ext. 4253 or 4265.
  • File an application about maintenance (form T6) with the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB). The LTB will then schedule a hearing where both the landlord and tenant can provide evidence about the problem.  If an order to fix the problem has been received and the landlord is not following the order the tenant can contact the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit.

If the landlord is trying to fix the problem and the tenant is refusing to cooperate the landlord can provide the tenant with a 7 day notice to cooperate before ending the tenacy. If the tenant still does not cooperate with efforts to treat the pest problem the landlord can file an application with the LTB to evict the tenant.

Please visit the Landlord Tenant Board website for more information on mice and rats which can be found in their Frequently Asked Questions.