Niagara Falls, ON, June 13, 2016 –The City of Niagara Falls is looking for a new Town Crier, since the retirement of renowned Crier, Derrek Tidd, after 26 years! The City and Arts Culture and Museum Committee are inviting interested Niagara Falls residents to apply to compete in the Crier Competition being held on June 30th, 2016.
This is an opportunity to become a highly visible ambassador for the City of Niagara Falls. The Town Crier has the honour of attending various functions and celebrations within Niagara Falls, ringing a bell, and declaring proclamations and announcements. Criers cry loudly and clearly, using the traditional opening word "OYEZ! [oh yeah!] which is a very old French term meaning "To Hearken" or "Hear YE!".
- Eligibility: The competition will be open to residents of Niagara Falls.
- Application Deadline: Saturday, June 25th, 2016. Contact Linda Babb (details below) for registration and details.
- Date of Competition: Thursday, June 30th, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
- Location of Competition: Firehall Theatre, 4990 Walnut St., Niagara Falls ON
- Judges: Councillor Wayne Campbell, an unnamed representative from City Council or the Arts,
Culture & Museum Committee and an official representative of the Ontario Guild of Town Criers
will preside over the competition.
- Compensation: The City of Niagara Falls provides an annual stipend of $1400 plus $500 to help defray the cost of a unique uniform.
The inauguration of the new Crier will take place on July 1st Canada Day to announce the
beginning of the Parade.
For more information, contact:
Linda Babb, Arts Culture and Museum Committee