Make The Niagara Falls Fire Department's Holiday Wishes come True!

NIAGARA FALLS, ON - Niagara Falls Fire Chief Jo Zambito has a wish this holiday season. "I wish for a fire-free holiday season this year," said Chief Zambito, "but I need your help to make this come true!" 

While fire can happen anywhere, at any time, it most often strikes when we let our guard down: when we're distracted by the hustle and bustle of the holidays, by our cellphones, by the kids or by the doorbell. All it takes is for a pot to be left on the stove or a candle left unattended, and a family's holiday celebrations can turn to tragedy. 

"Never leave a cooking pot unattended on the stove," continued Chief Zambito, "and consider using battery-operated or electric flameless candles." 

Smoking is another leading cause of fires during the holiday season. "Make sure smokers extinguish cigarettes in large deep ashtrays - not in plant pots which may contain peat moss or shredded bark that can easily ignite," continued Chief Zambito. "Ashes should be emptied in a metal container - not the garbage can - and put outside." 

The Niagara Falls Fire Department also reminds you to maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Install smoke alarms on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. CO alarms are required outside all bedrooms. Test your smoke and CO alarms every month and install new batteries if needed. 

Enjoy a fire-safe holiday season by following these tips: Always stay in the kitchen when something is cooking on the stove.
Place lit candles away from anything that can burn and out of the reach of children and pets where they can't be knocked over. Remember to snuff out candles before leaving the room or going to bed. Consider using battery-operated or electric flameless candles.
Drink responsibly. Attempting to cook or smoke while under the influence of alcohol is too often a contributing factor in fatal fires.
Make sure the base of real Christmas trees are immersed in water at all times to prevent them from getting too dry.
Check all sets of decorative lights before putting them up and discard any sets that are damaged.
Develop and practice a home fire escape plan so that everyone in your home knows what to do if the smoke or CO alarms sound.
To learn more about fire-safe this holiday season, follow the Niagara Falls Fire Department on Twitter or Facebook.


 For more information, contact:
Doug Collee
Fire Prevention Officer/ Public Education Officer
City of Niagara Falls
905-356-1321 ext. 2208
[email protected]

Posted on: 12/12/2022 12:27 PM - Category: Media Releases