NIAGARA FALLS, ON - In order to provide some relief from the extreme heat this week, especially for our most vulnerable residents, the City of Niagara Falls will be opening two indoor cooling centres.
City of Niagara Falls Cooling Centres during COVID-19 will be located at:
- Niagara Falls Public Library - Victoria Branch Only - 4848 Victoria Avenue - LaMarsh Room
- Gale Centre Arena - 5152 Thorold Stone Road - Memorial Room
The air conditioned facilities will be open to the public on Tuesday June 9, 2020 and Wednesday June 10, 2020 from 11am to 3pm. There are washrooms on site, and water is available.
The City is following provincial guidelines and direction from public health to help protect against the spread of COVID-19 at the cooling centres. For everyone’s safety, we encourage attendees to wear a mask, and measures will be in place at the site to reinforce safe physical distancing.
Please do not attend a cooling centre, and contact public health if you:
- Have had close contact with anyone with acute respiratory illness or travelled outside of Ontario in the past 14 days.
- Have a confirmed case of COVID-19 or had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Have any of the following symptoms: fever, new onset of cough, worsening chronic cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell, chills, headaches, unexplained fatigue/malaise/muscle aches [myalgias], nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pink eye [conjunctivitis], runny nose/nasal congestion without other known cause.
- Are 70 years of age or older, and are experiencing any of the following: delirium, unexplained or increased number of falls, acute functional decline, or worsening of chronic conditions.
The City's seven splash pads and five swimming pools will open for the season on July 1, 2020, pending Provincial authorization to proceed with opening.
Visit niagararegion.ca for more of Niagara Region Public Health’s recommendations.
For more information, contact:
Fire Chief, CEMC, City of Niagara Falls