Niagara Falls, ON, 3 September 2019 – Today, MP Badawey and MP Bittle visited the future space of the Niagara Falls Creative Hub and announced funding of up to $3,000,000 for the Corporation of the City of Niagara Falls. This funding will support the creation of a new multi-use creative hub designed to bring together professional artists, artisans, and arts and heritage organizations from a variety of creative disciplines. The creative hub will include one of the only a mid-sized professional performance spaces in the city, which will be available to professional and non-professional arts and heritage organizations and individuals at an affordable rate.
The Government of Canada is investing in culture, providing spaces where local artists can thrive. These investments are made through Heritage Canada’s Canada Cultural Spaces Fund, which focuses on improving physical conditions for artists and improving access for Canadians to arts and culture.
“I am pleased to see the Government of Canada investing in Niagara art and culture. This new space will provide not only a creative hub in Niagara Falls for local artists to thrive and create new pieces, but a community space for all to use. I am excited to see what will come out of this multi-use space, and how it will strengthen our Niagara economy.”
- Vance Badawey, Member of Parliament for Niagara Centre
“Innovation and creative entrepreneurship are key pillars to the economic growth Canada has seen since 2015. Canadians have created a million new jobs since then and it’s very exciting that our government is supporting entrepreneurship at the Niagara Falls Creative Hub with up to $3 million in funding to the City of Niagara Falls. A multi-use creative space that will provide opportunity and access to resources for many will grow our local economy and help the leaders and innovators of tomorrow get their start.”
- Chris Bittle, Member of Parliament for St. Catharines
“We are thrilled that the Federal government is willing to support our Farmer’s Market and Cultural Hub, which will be a gathering place for locals and visitors, and will keep the momentum going strong for the revitalization of the Drummondville area of Niagara Falls.”
- Jim Diodati, Mayor of Niagara Falls
- The Canada Cultural Spaces Fund’s (CCSF) objectives focus on improving physical conditions for professional arts and heritage related collaboration, creation, presentation, preservation and exhibition, and to increase and improve access for Canadians to arts and culture.
- In Budget 2017 the Government of Canada announced an additional $300 million over a ten year period, starting in 2018-2019, to further support creative hubs and other cultural spaces.
- The CCSF annual grants and contributions budget is $54 million for the period 2018-2028.
- This project will result in a new multi-use creative hub designed to bring together professional artists, artisans, and arts and heritage organizations from a variety of creative disciplines. The creative hub will provide users with affordable space, shared space, equipment and amenities, and will foster collaboration amongst its users.
- 30 -
For more information or background contact Dan Lovell, executive assistant for Niagara Centre MP Vance Badawey, 905-788-2204