The Committee’s mandate is to encourage environmental responsibility, city wide beautification, promote recreation and active transportation usage and civic pride through community action. The Committee advises City Council on issues regarding its mandate.
- To promote and carry out the mandate through the identification and active promotion of various initiatives related to environmental responsibilities, beautification and recreational and active transportation usage.
- Provide support for local walking/cycling groups, schools, interest groups and other city based agencies.
- Actively engage the community through the development of partnerships with various organizations to promote their mandate.
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of the city's Beautification, Streetscape, Gateway Master Plan and Trails & Bikeway Master Plan.
- Ad-Hoc Committees may be formed to deal with specific initiatives identified by the Committee.
It is the vision of the Committee to achieve a clean and safe city that contains attractive gardens, streetscapes and gateways and to encourage stewardship of natural resources in terms of conservation, recycling and planning. The Committee also has a focus to encourage the usage of trails and bikeways.
The Park in the City Committee is an appointed Committee of City Council that meets monthly to discuss issues that fit within their mandate. The Committee is made up of community volunteers residing in the City of Niagara Falls and two City Councillors. Residents apply for membership every four years. The Committee is administered by a City Staff Liaison. To contact the Park in the City Committee, please email [email protected] or call 905 356 7521 extension 3341.
Saturday, October 3, 2020
10:00 am to 12:00 pm Firemen's Park
Volunteers will be helping to plant 50 trees at Firemen's Park. . Partners from the SCVFA and Land Care Niagara will be on site to help with the tree planting. This event is rain or shine. Volunteer opportunities are now full for this event.
Community Clean Sweep
Saturday, October 17, 2020
The Community Clean Sweep Day event enables volunteers to help clean our City of debris. Twice each year, volunteers scatter throughout parks, trails, walkways and main street boulevards with recycling and garbage bags, collecting litter. For the 2020 Fall version of the Community Clean Sweep Day event, changes are being made in order to ensure COVID-19 safe guards are in place for volunteers.
Changes to the October 17, 2020 Community Clean Sweep Day event:
- All volunteers are to register online prior to participating in the event.
- All volunteers are to complete the event waiver form prior to the event. Waiver forms are to be submitted either electronically by email or hand delivered to the MacBain Community Centre, City Customer Service Centre during regular business hours prior to the start of the event.
- Volunteers are able to acquire protective gloves and garbage/recycling bags at the MacBain Community Centre, City Customer Service Centre during regular business between Tuesday, October 13 to Friday, October 16. Volunteers can keep the gloves and any excess garbage/recycling bags at the conclusion of the event. There is no need to return any items. NOTE: No other equipment will be allocated to volunteers for use (eg: pickers, vests).
- Volunteers are encouraged to wear bright clothing and to bring their own pickers for use. Safety vests are highly recommended.
- Volunteers can start to clean-up either a city park, trail or boulevard of their choice on Saturday, October 17 during daylight hours only.
- All Volunteers must follow the recommended safety instructions.
- Once volunteers have completed their clean-up, they are to leave any filled garbage/recycling bags at either a street corner or park/trail entrance area and then email the location of where the filled bags are left for City Staff to collect.
- Volunteers age of 13 or under must be accompanied by a guardian. Youth between ages 14 to 16 must have a guardian sign a youth Permission Form and submitted prior to the October 17. These forms are available here.
- In case of a rain out, this event will not be re-scheduled.
- Take pictures while you are cleaning! Share your pictures through your social feeds and include us. #niagarafalls @niagarafalls #pitc @pitc #cleansweep @cleansweep
For more information, please contact Jeff Guarasci, Community Development Coordinator. Phone: 905-356-7521 ext.3341.
Committee Meetings 2019
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020 - 4:30 pm, MacBain Community Centre Board Room
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020 - 4:30 pm, MacBain Community Centre Board Room
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020 - 4:30 pm, MacBain Community Centre Boardroom - CANCELLED
- Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 1:30 pm, Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 1:30 pm, Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, September 9, 2020 - 1:30 pm, Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 3:00 pm, Virtual Meeting