Civil Marriage Ceremonies

The City of Niagara Falls is pleased to offer Civil Marriage Ceremonies at City Hall in our Council Chambers.  Arrangements can also be made to hold the ceremony on the grounds outside of City Hall.  All you need is an Ontario Marriage Licence, which you can get from the office of the City Clerk, first floor, 4310 Queen Street, Niagara Falls. Due to the civil nature of the service, the Clerk has no authority to perform ceremonies of a religious nature.

The service is available Monday to Friday (except statutory holidays) 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. We can perform same day services (upon availability), however it is suggested you prearrange a date to discuss and personalize your ceremony.

To make arrangements or receive information regarding the requirements prior to your Civil Service, please contact the Clerk’s Office at 905-356-7521, extension 0.

The fee for the ceremony is $200 (plus HST) with a $100 non-refundable deposit required to hold your date of choice. You are required to have two witnesses at your ceremony. The City can provide a witness for a $25 (plus HST) fee each. NOTE:   The fee for the witnesses (if choosing the City to provide), is non-refundable.

Two easy steps to getting married at City Hall

  1. Make sure you have a marriage licence. Licenses are available at City Hall (First floor – Office of the City Clerk), Monday to Friday from 8:30a.m to 4 p.m. Marriage licences cost $125.
  2. Contact the Office of the City Clerk to arrange a date for your civil marriage ceremony. Call 905-356-7521 ext. 0 or email [email protected]. Civil marriage ceremonies performed at City Hall from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., cost is $200 + HST.

Applicant Information

Please see our Applicant Booklet for all of the information for your ceremony. Included are the Civil Marriage Ceremony Guidelines and Ceremony Options.

Who can perform marriages?

A civil marriage may be performed by an Ontario judge, justice of the peace or a municipal clerk under the authority of a marriage licence. Each municipality will set its own fees and can even offer civil marriage services. The City of Niagara Falls City Clerk and approved designates are authorized officials.

A religious marriage is performed by an official of a recognized religion who has received authorization from the Office of the Registrar General to perform marriages in Ontario. Find out if the person performing your marriage is an authorized official by checking online at Registered Religious Officials or by calling Service Ontario at 1-800-461-2156.

**Changes to the Marriage Act now allow couples to exchange wedding vows before the Clerk of the City of Niagara Falls – or qualified designate – in compliance with the requirements of the Ministry of Government Services. A civil marriage ceremony previously required solemnization by a judge or Justice-of-the-Peace.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can a civil marriage ceremony be performed?

  • Civil marriage ceremonies are performed Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. inside Council Chambers at City Hall.

Can guests attend the ceremony?

  • Your friends and family are welcome to attend. Council Chambers can seat up to 30 guests and City Hall is fully accessible.

Can we bring in our own flowers a décor?

  • Yes, minor items such as a bouquet of flowers or corsage are acceptable. Please note that use of confetti, rice, bubbles, etc. are prohibited.

Are we allowed to take photos and videos?

  • Yes, pictures and videos may be taken throughout the ceremony provided they do not disrupt the ceremony.

What is the cost of a civil marriage ceremony?

  • The fee for a ceremony performed at City Hall during business hours is $200.00 (+ HST).
  • The cost of the ceremony does not include the Marriage Licence. A separate fee of $125.00 will be charged for the Marriage Licence.

How do I obtain a marriage licence?

  • Marriage licences can be obtained Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at City Hall in the Office of the City Clerk. The licence is effective immediately and is valid for a period of three (3) months anywhere in Ontario from the date of issuance.

Can I use a marriage licence obtained at another municipality to get married in Niagara Falls?

  • Ensure you bring valid photo identification with you to verify your marriage licence.

How much advance notice is required for a ceremony?

  • Depends on availability. Please plan ahead.
  • Your payment will secure date and time.

How far in advance can we book a marriage ceremony?

  • We can book up to 6 months in advance.

Can I get married at Niagara Falls City Hall even if I don’t live in Niagara Falls?

  • All you require is a valid Ontario marriage licence. If you obtained your licence at another municipality ensure you bring it with you as well as your photo identification.

Can the Clerk/Designate perform a civil marriage ceremony at a location other than City Hall?

  • Yes, however we are focusing our duties on Civil Marriage ceremonies located within City Hall and can provide you with a list of officiants within the area if required.

It is your day. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Please call 905-356-7521 ext. 0 or email [email protected].


  • Civil Marriage in or at City Hall (During business Hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m
    • $200 + HST
  • Rehearsal fee (not required / only if requested)
    • $75 + HST
  • Witness fee (if not providing your own)
    • $25 + HST each (2 witnesses are required for ceremony) NOTE:  This fee is non-refundable.