Wheat Paste Art Installations
The purpose of these works is to provide a temporary installation of Street Art that will resonate with the history of the city, the local residents who may well remember the building or neighbourhood’s earlier functions, and an art-appreciating public who may enjoy the installations. The work is created to celebrate historical elements of this building as well as to share art in unexpected places throughout Niagara Falls. The work is expected to remain in place from August till September 7, 2019.
WHEAT PASTE FROM WIKI [ABRIDGED]
Wheat paste is an adhesive made from wheat flour or starch, and water. It has been used since antiquity for various arts and crafts such as book binding, collage, papier-mâché, and adhering paper posters and notices to walls. It has also commonly been used by commercial bill posters since the 19th century. In particular, it was widely used by 19th and 20th century circus bill posters, who developed a substantial culture around paste manufacture and postering campaigns. In the 1890s, the artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's posters were so popular that instructions were published on how to peel down the pasted posters without damage.
The 11 locations and artists selected are:
- Niagara Military Museum/ Armoury, 5049 Victoria Ave. /Jan DiMartino
- Canadian Specialty Castings, 4248 Broughton Ave. /Jennifer Judson
- Chippawa Town Hall, 8198 Cummington Sq E. /Brian Crolly
- Firehall Theatre, 4990 Walnut St./ Andrea Letourneau /www.letourneauart.com
- Heart Niagara, 4635b Queen St. /Emily Andrews/ @ms.emily.andrews
- Hilton Niagara Falls/Fallsviwew- Backside of Hotel on Stanley Avenue, 6361 Fallsview Blvd. /Sara Lou Stuart / www.serpentyl.ca
- Niagara Falls History Museum, 5810 Ferry St. /Emily Andrews/ @ms.emily.andrews
- Niagara Railway Bridge Underpass, Niagara Parkway, Between Park Street and Bridge Street. /Elizabeth Chitty/ elizabethchitty.ca
- Old Stone Inn, 6080 Fallsview Blvd. /Joanne Ring/ facebook.com/joanneringdesigns
- Post Foods, 5651 Lewis Ave. /Dougie Hayz/ www.facebook.com/wackmagic
- Royal Canadian Legion, 5603 Spring St. /Anthony Haley/ @anthonyhaleyart
Check out our map with more details.