The Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018.
Anyone who wishes to be a candidate must file a Nomination Paper. The nomination period will begin May 1, 2018 and end on July 27th, 2018 at 2 p.m.
Nomination Papers must be obtained and filed with the Regional or Municipal Clerk by 2 p.m., July 27th, 2018.
- The Nomination Paper must be accompanied by a filing fee in cash, certified cheque, debit or money order payable to the Region or appropriate Area Municipality, in the amount of:
- $200.00 for the Office of the Regional Chair or Mayor
- $100.00 for the Office of Regional Councillor, Municipal Councillor or School Board Trustee
- NEW: Each Nomination Paper (excluding School Board Trustee candidates) must be endorsed by 25 eligible voters supporting the nomination. Forms will be available April 2018.
- NEW: Each candidate must provide proof of Canadian citizenship when filing their Nomination Paper.
- NEW: ***Third Party Advertisements (will be in effect April 1, 2018). Registrations accepted between May 1st, 2018 (1st day for filing nominations) and October 19, 2018 (Friday before Voting Day) in regular election. Pertinent information will be posted in early 2018.***
Qualifications for Municipal Office
To run for an office, a candidate must be qualified on the day he or she files the nomination paper. The candidate must be:
- A Canadian citizen;
- A resident of the City of Niagara Falls, a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the City of Niagara Falls, or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant;
- At least 18 years old;
- Not legally prohibited from voting;
- Not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office
Direct Election of the Regional Chair and Filing Nomination Paper
For the first time in Niagara, the Regional Chair will be directly elected in the 2018 Municipal Election by general vote.
Where to file your Nomination Paper:
Nomination Papers for the Office of Regional Chair will be received by the Regional Clerk during the nomination period at the Office of the Clerk, Regional Headquarters,
1815 Sir Isaac Brock Way, Thorold, Ontario. For more information on running for Regional Chair, please visit the Niagara Region website.
Nominations for the following offices will be received by the Office of the Clerk at Niagara Falls City Hall, 4310 Queen Street:
- Mayor (1 to be elected)
- Regional Councillors (3 to be elected)
- Municipal Councillors (8 to be elected)
- English Language Public District School Board (2 to be elected)
- English Language Catholic District School Board (2 to be elected)
- French Language Public School Board (1 to be elected)
- French Language Catholic School Board (1 to be elected)
For further information, please contact the Regional Clerk or your Municipal Clerk.
Candidate Financial Statements
The financial statements for the 2014 Municipal Election Candidates are available for download on the 2014 Financial Statements page.
Information and Links
For more information, please visit the following links:
Compliance Audit Committee
The Niagara Compliance Audit website for the Committee that deals with requests for an audit on the campaigns of Election Candidates.
Questions, Assistance, and Accessibility
The City Clerk's staff are pleased to assist with any questions that you may have concerning the Municipal Election. If you have comments or concerns regarding the election process, forms, method of voting, polling locations, voters' list or other matters pertaining to the Municipal Election, please let us know. Further, we welcome feedback to identify areas where changes need to be considered; and ways in which the City can improve the delivery of an accessible election. If you require information in an alternate format, please let us know.
Phone: 905-356-7521 Ext. 4342
Acting City Clerk
City of Niagara Falls
P.O. Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 6X5
City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street
Niagara Falls, Ontario