- Mullen Garden Market
- Fallsview Casino Resort
- Niagara Falls Horticultural Society
- Ramada Plaza Hotel
- Re/Max Niagara Realty Ltd. Brokerage,
Daniela Mitrovic & Kathy Tsiantoulas
Nominations for the 2019 Summer Trillium Recognition Program are open!
Thank you to all 2018 Participants
The Trillium Sub-Committee thanks all participants and sponsors for a great turn-out in 2018. One hundred and five properties were assessed and five Awards of Excellence were bestowed! In 2018, the City proudly awarded 14 gold ratings, 60 silver ratings and 23 bronze ratings. Pictures of each property are posted on our Facebook page.
About the Trillium Recognition Program
The program is brought to you by The Park in the City Committee through the work of the Trillium Recognition Sub-Committee, with the support of local sponsors. The mandate of the program is to foster city-wide beautification efforts from all property owners through recognition and encouragement. Residents are challenged each year to enhance their curbside appeal while utilizing basic horticultural and environmental considerations; they are encouraged, through co-operation, to achieve a level of excellence in developing and maintaining their properties. View the Summer Trillium Program categories here.
New for 2019! The Trillium Sub-Committee encourages residents to incorporate pollinator plants in their curbside landscaping, adding to the environmental component of the program. (In 2018, the City of Niagara Falls became an officially designated Bee City.)
Assessment of your Property
The Trillium Sub-Committee travels throughout the City each summer to assess participating properties. The Committee will determine how well a property is maintained through a scoring matrix system (Principles of Design, Turf, Plants, Hardscaping Features, Unique Features and Environmental Issues). Properties will be assessed and given a score between 0 and 100. All assessed properties will be notified of their assessment outcome shortly after. Information about the different categories can be found on the Trillium Categories page.
How to participate and program particulars
All property owners, whether residential, commercial or industrial are welcome to participate--and it's FREE! Residents may nominate their own or another's properties. As a courtesy to your nominee, please ask their permission and let them know what to expect (see below). Nominations close on July 1.
What to expect:
- To make a nomination you must provide the complete mailing address of the property and the owner's name. Optional information may include the property owner's phone number and email address. All properties must be nominated by July 1, using the online form. If you require assistance, please call the Recreation and Culture Department at 905-356-7521 ext. 3330. If you are nominating someone else's property, please secure their permission to ensure they want the Trillium Sub-Committe to visit and assess their curbside landscape.
- After the nomination period closes on July 1, a letter will be sent to each nominated property owner to remind them that the Trillium Sub-Committee will visit the property for a brief minute on Thursday, July 25, 2019 during business hours to assess only their curbside landscape (viewed from the nearest roadway).
- Scores are kept for each category from each committee member (please see the Trillium Categories page for details).
- Photos will be taken of the landscape.
- We recommend that you close your garage door and move your car away from the property, if possible.
- The photographs will be shown at the Recognition of Excellence Ceremony and may be posted on the City's social media channels.
- Once all scores are tabulated later in the summer, property owners will be sent their score by mail, indicating whether they have earned an Award of Excellence, Gold, Silver, Bronze or Participant rating. Letters are expected to be posted in August. Each property owner will be sent two (2) complimentary tickets to the Recognition of Excellence Ceremony.
- If you wish to receive your award at the ceremony, please R.S.V.P. by September 13, 2019. Email or call the Recreation and Culture Department at 905-356-7521 ext. 3330.
- To collect your award after the ceremony, please visit the MyCity Customer Service Centre, located in the MacBain Community Centre, at 7150 Montrose Road, during regular business hours.
- Property owners of Gold, Silver or Bronze ratings will be presented with a plaque and an iron garden stake. Returning entries will receive only a plaque, which can be placed on their existing stake. If you win your second Gold Award, you will be presented with an Award of Excellence plaque and a framed photograph of your landscape.
2019 Recogntion of Excellence Ceremony
Wednesday, September 18, 2019
The 2019 Recognition of Excellence Ceremony will take place at the Ramada Plaza Hotel, located on Lundy's Lane (across from the Canada One Factory Outlet Mall). All participants are invited to the ceremony. A food and wine reception, compliments of Daniela Mitrovic and Kathy Tsiantoulas from Re/Max Niagara Realty will start at 6:30 p.m. The Awards Ceremony follows at 7 p.m. and the event concludes at 8 p.m. (or once all awards have been presented). Your tickets will be sent by mail.
NOTE: To receive your award at the ceremony, please R.S.V.P. by September 13, 2019. Email or call the Recreation and Culture Department at 905-356-7521 ext. 3330. If you cannot attend the event, you may pick up your award after the ceremony at the MyCity Customer Service Centre, located in the MacBain Community Centre, at 7150 Montrose Road, during regular business hours.
Trillium Program Photo Galleries