- Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc.
- Mullen Garden Market
- Niagara Falls Horticultural Society
Award Ceremony Sponsor
- Re/Max Niagara Realty Ltd. Brokerage,
Daniela Mitrovic & Kathy Tsiantoulas
The 2022 Niagara Falls Summer Trillium Recognition Program, presented by Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc. is now accepting nominations. All nominations are to be completed online. Residents are able to either nominate their own property or someone else's property (with the owner's permission).
MAKE A NOMINATION
For more information, please call Recreation and Culture at 905-356-7521 ext. 3330
2021 Awards Recipients
Curious about how landscapes are scored or what the ratings mean? Learn more about the Summer Trillium Program categories.
2022 Theme: Year of the Garden
In the spirit of celebrating the Canadian ornamental horticulture sector’s centennial, the Canadian Garden Council (CGC) and many municipalities across the nation, including the City of Niagara Falls have proclaimed 2022 as the “Year of the Garden”. It is an important year for the public to be inspired, entertained, and informed by Canada’s Garden-Family – the thousands of plant growers, product manufacturers, retailers, landscape service providers, horticulture societies, garden clubs, and public gardens from across the nation. To recognize this proclamation, participants are encouraged to plant the colour red in their landscapes. Additionally, participants are also encouraged to plant edible plants in their landscapes to support smart sustainable gardening practices.
Thanks Little Farm: Online Garden Series
Join Debbie Cank-Thatcher online for the Park in the City Committee's first online gardening series. Debbie is a trained horticulturalist and professional landscaper in Niagara Falls. She is also a Sub-Committee member of the Niagara Falls Summer Trillium Program. Her passion is to help people fall in love with gardening.
Online Gardening Video Tips #1 - Container Potting Soil
Online Gardening Video Tips #2 - Window Boxes
Online Gardening Video Tips #3 - Lawns
Online Gardening Video Tips #4 - Pollinators
About the Trillium Recognition Program
The program is brought to you by The Park in the City Committee through the work of the Trillium Recognition Sub-Committee, with the support of local sponsors. Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc is the presenting sponsor for 2022. The mandate of the program is to foster city-wide beautification efforts from all property owners through recognition and encouragement. Residents are challenged each year to enhance their curbside appeal while utilizing basic horticultural and environmental considerations; they are encouraged, through co-operation, to achieve a level of excellence in developing and maintaining their properties. View the Summer Trillium Program categories.
Assessment of your Property
The Trillium Sub-Committee travels throughout the City each summer to assess participating properties. The Committee will determine how well a property is maintained through a scoring matrix system (Principles of Design, Turf, Plants, Hardscaping Features, Unique Features and Environmental Issues). Properties will be assessed and given a score between 0 and 100. All assessed properties will be notified of their assessment outcome shortly after. Information about the different categories can be found on the Trillium Categories page. We encourage you to try to keep your garage door closed during this time frame as we will be taking pictures of each property that will be utilized to complete your property assessment and for recognition purposes at a later date.
How to participate and program particulars
All property owners, whether residential, commercial or industrial are welcome to participate--and it's FREE! Residents may nominate their own or another's properties. As a courtesy to your nominee, please ask their permission and let them know what to expect (listed below). Nominations close annually on July 1.
What to expect:
- To submit a nomination you must provide the complete mailing address of the property and your contact information. All properties must be nominated by July 1, using the online form. If you require assistance, please call the Recreation and Culture Department at 905-356-7521 ext. 3341. If you are nominating someone else's property, please secure their permission to ensure they want the Trillium Sub-Committee to visit and assess their curbside landscape.
- After the nomination period closes on July 1, a letter will be sent to each nominated property owner to remind them that City Staff will visit their property to take photos from the curbside in preparation for evaluation by the Trillium Sub-Committee. This will take place on Wednesday, July 20 during business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm). On Thursday, July 28, the Trillium Sub-Committee will come together to view the photos and complete scoring for each participating property.
- Scores are kept for each category from each committee member (please see the Trillium Categories page for details).
- Photos will be taken of the landscape.
- We recommend that you close your garage door and move your car away from the property, if possible.
- The photographs will be used for scoring purposes and for recognition viewing. Photos may be posted on the City's social media channels, newspaper tributes and on YourTV.
- Once all scores are tabulated later in the summer, property owners will be sent their score by mail, indicating whether they have earned an Award of Excellence, Gold, Silver, Bronze or Participant rating. Letters are generally sent out a week or so after the assessments have been completed.
- Property owners of Gold, Silver or Bronze ratings will be presented with a plaque and an iron garden stake. Returning entries will receive only a plaque, which can be placed on their existing stake.
2022 Recognition of Excellence Ceremony
The Program Recognition Ceremony is finally back in person! Participants will be invited to attend the ceremony to receive their award, which will take place on Wednesday, September 14. The 2022 ceremony will take place at the Ramada Plaza Niagara located on Lundy's Lane. Complimentary finger foods and wine will be served at the event, compliments of Ceremony sponsors Kathy Tsiantoulas and Daniela Mitrovic, the Property Girls from Re/Max Realty. Doors will open at 6:00pm with the ceremony starting at 6:30pm. Participants will be sent a letter in the mail to detail the ceremony particulars.