- Mullen Garden Market
- Fallsview Casino Resort
- Niagara Falls Horticultural Society
- Ramada Plaza
- Re/Max Niagara Realty Ltd. Brokerage,
Daniela Mitrovic & Kathy Tsiantoulas
Property nominations are now closed for 2018
2018 submissions were closed on July 1. Check back later to make a nomination for 2019.
Assessment Date: Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 8:30am to 4:30pm
The Trillium Sub-Committee will be assessing all properties from the "Curbside" only on July 19 starting at 8:30am. We recommend that you have your garage doors closed and vehicles parked away from the curbside in front of your property so that we can take a great picture of your landscape. Visits will last long enough (2 to 3 minutes) for our Sub-Committee to assess your landscape. We will be travelling in a van which will have a magnet with the Trillium logo on it. To help you pin point a better time frame for when your visit will take place, the Sub-Committee will first be travelling from the MacBain Community Centre, up Montrose Road and then into the Lundy's Lane BIA area. From there, Main & Ferry BIA, Fallsview BIA and Victoria BIA areas will be assessed next, leading the Sub-Committee up River Road and then into the north end of the City. In the afternoon, assessments will take place in the south end of the City and then will finish off in the Chippawa area. NOTE: Assessments are only of areas viewable from curbside and there will be no backyard assessments.
Do you have a yard/landscaping question?
If you have a question that you'd like an answer to about your yard, landscaping or the Trillium program, Submit your question now. Your question will be answered via email shortly.
Want to enhance your curbside landscaping? Ideas that work!
Visitors see your front yard before anything else when they arrive to your home. Landscaping your front yard to make it look attractive and frame your house and entry well will help your house stand out and add value to your home. Whatever your budget, you can make some changes to your front yard that will improve the look of your home. For more tips on enhancing, visit the Landscaping Ideas page.
About the Trillium Recognition Program
The program is brought to you by The Park in the City Committee through the work of the Trillium Recognition Sub-Committee. The mandate of the program is to foster city-wide beautification efforts from all property owners through a recognition program that encourages residents to strive to enhance their curbside appeal while utilizing basic horticultural and environmental considerations. Residents are encouraged through co-operation to achieve a level of excellence in developing and maintaining their properties. You can view our Summer Trillium Program categories here.
How to participate and program particulars
All property owners, whether residential, commercial or even industrial are able to participate…and it’s free! Residents are able to nominate their own property or other properties they feel would like to be involved. Keep in mind though, permission should be granted from property owners. More information, including Nomination Forms, are available online. Please note, nominations close on July 1 annually.
Here is a quick guide of what to expect:
- Your property is nominated by yourself or someone else online prior to July 1. Please keep in mind, that if you are nominating someone's property, please notify them to ensure they want to participate. All nominations are completed online. The information you will need is the complete mailing address of the property and owner's name. Optional data can include a phone number and email for the property owner. If you are having computer difficulties, call Recreation and Culture at 905-356-7521 ext.3330.
- After the nomination process closes on July 1, a letter will be sent to the property owner to remind them that the Trillium Sub-Committee will be visiting their property for a brief minute sometime within the month of July during business hours to assess their curbside landscape only (view from the nearest roadway). Scores are kept for each category from each committee member (please see Trillium Categories below for details). Pictures will be taken of the landscape. We recommend that you close your garage door and move your car away from the property if possible. These pictures will be shown at the ending ceremony that annually takes place mid-September at the Ramada Plaza Lundy's Lane.
- Once all of the scores are tabulated, property owners will receive another letter in the mail indicating the outcome of the scoring for their property, whether they are receiving an Award of Excellence, Gold, Silver, Bronze or Participant rating. Letters are expected to be sent out during the month of August. All property owners will also be invited to an ending award ceremony. Each property will receive 2 complimentary tickets to the ceremony that will take place in September. NOTE: Property owners are required to R.S.V.P. to the ending ceremony at least 3 days in advance of the ceremony in order to be able to receive their award at the ceremony. R.S.V.P. notices can be sent by either email or by phone at 905-356-7521 ext.3330 (during business days/hours). Property owners who are not attending the ending ceremony will be able to pick-up their award after the ceremony at the MacBain Community Centre, City of Niagara Falls Customer Service Centre between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding holidays.
- At the ending ceremony that will take place on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at the Ramada Plaza Hotel on Lundy's Lane, property owners of a Gold, Silver or Bronze rating will receive their award of a iron garden stake and plaque. If the property is a returning entry, they will only receive a plaque, which can be placed on their existing stake. Some properties who are returning Gold winners and are again rated Gold the following year will receive an Award of Excellence plaque and a picture frame of their landscape. A wine reception, sponsored by Daniela Mitrovic and Kathy Tsiantoulas of Re/Max Realty Niagara will start at 6:30pm, followed by the Trillium ceremony starting at 7:00pm. The ceremony concludes will conclude by 8:00pm or once all of the awards are distributed.
Assessment of your Property
The Trillium Sub-Committee travels throughout the City each summer to assess participating properties. The Committee will determine how well a property is maintained through a scoring matrix system (Principles of Design, Turf, Plants, Hardscaping Features, Unique Features and Environmental Issues). Properties will be assessed and given a score between 0 and 100. All assessed properties will be notified of their assessment outcome shortly after. Information about the different categories can be found on the Trillium Categories page.
Trillium Program Photo Galleries