The City of Niagara Falls has completed a Pollution Prevention and Control Plan (PPCP) Study Update. The 2017 PPCP Study Update examines how the City’s wastewater system will support the needs of the community in a sustainable and financially responsible manner.
Key issues addressed through the study include:
- Continued prioritization of addressing wet weather flows and management of conveyance, storage and overflow conditions
- New focus to incorporate growth conditions within the service area and incorporate Regional growth driven strategies
- Enhanced focus on the optimization of the existing wastewater system
- Enhanced review of the impact of maintenance of the system versus only capital expenditures
- Enhanced review of the impact in achieving regulatory and growth requirements; and
- Enhanced review of the environmental and basement flooding resiliency expectations of the users of the system.
The PPCP Study Update follows the Master Plan process as outlined in Section A.2.7 of the Municipal Engineers Association (MEA) Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (Oct 2000, as Amended in 2007 and 2011). The PPCP Study will be filed under Approach #1 of the MEA Class EA Approach for Master Planning. The Class EA process includes public and review agency consultation, evaluation of alternatives, impact assessment of proposed alternatives, and identification of measures to mitigate adverse impacts.
The PPCP Update Study has been prepared to document the planning and decision making process undertaken for this study. If after consulting with the City of Niagara Falls, you have significant unresolved concerns with the study, you have the right to make a written request to the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change (The Honourable Glen R. Murray, 11th Floor, Ferguson Block, 77 Wellesley Street West, Toronto, ON M7A 2T5) to appeal the study results – also known as a Part II Order request.
The Part II Order request must be received by the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change’s Environmental Approvals Branch (Director, MOECC Environmental Approvals Branch, 135 St. Clair Avenue West, 1st Floor, Toronto, ON M4V 1P5) and the City of Niagara Falls. If there are no outstanding concerns after the end of the public review period, the study will be considered to have met the requirements of the Municipal Class EA and the project may proceed to implementation.
With the exception of personal information, all comments will become part of the public record of the study. The study is being conducted according to the requirements of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment, which is a planning process approved under Ontario’s Environmental Assessment Act.
Copies of the PPCP Update Study document are available at the following locations for review:
- City of Niagara Falls - Municipal Works - 4310 Queen Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario, L2E 6X5
- MacBain Community Centre - 7150 Montrose Road, Niagara Falls ON, L2H 3N3
- Niagara Falls Public Library - Victoria Avenue Branch, 4848 Victoria Avenue, Niagara Falls, ON L2E 4C5
The PPCP Update Study is providing a 30 day Review period starting November 23, 2017. Please provide all written comments by January 12, 2018.
Requests or comments can be directed to:
Kent Schachowskoj, P.Eng
Infrastructure and Asset Manager
City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street
Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 6X5
Tel: 905-356-7521 ext. 4336
Danielle Anders, M.A.Sc., P.Eng
GM BluePlan Engineering Ltd.
410 Lewis Road, Unit 18
Stoney Creek, Ontario L8E 5Y7
Tel: 905-643-6688 ext. 6210
Notice of Completion is issued on November 23, 2017.