Ellis-Taylor House

Name: ELLIS-TAYLOR HOUSE
Address: 4634 ELLIS ST
Original Owner: ARTHUR PARK ELLIS
Year Constructed: 1894

Architect Name:
Architectural Style:
Builder Name: FRED W. ELLIS
Designated: No

Image Gallery

  • Front
  • Oblique

Historical Notes

THE HOUSE WAS CONSTRUCTED BY THE ELLIS FAMILY, WHO ACQUIRED MANY OF THE LOTS SOUTH OF MORRISON STREET AND LATER SOLD/DEVELOPED THEM. IN 1899, IT WAS PURCHASED AT AUCTION BY MERCHANT FRANK TAYLOR AND REMAINED HIS HOME UNTIL 1945. FROM 1953-65, IT SERVED AS ACCOUNTING OFFICES FOR THE NIAGARA FALLS BOARD OF EDUCATION.

Architectural Notes

THIS HOUSE EXHIBITS VARIOUS ELEMENTS OF THE QUEEN ANNE REVIVAL STYLE: PATTERNED BRICK ON THE ROUND CORNER TOWER, A CURVED VERANDAH AND TRIPARTITE PALLADIAN GABLE WINDOWS. OTHER DISTINGUISHING FEATURES ARE THE CARVED FRONT DOORS WITH GLASS PANELS AND A LARGE ROUND ARCHED PARLOUR WINDOW EQUIPPED WITH A STAINED GLASS TRANSOM.

Return to the property list

Location