Marriage Licence Info

Requirements for Marriages in Ontario


  • Please contact  the Clerk's Department - 905-356-7521, ext. 0 to book an appointment, should you wish to obtain a Marriage Licence.
  • Marriage Licence appointments can be arranged from the City Clerk's Office, Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m


As of January 1, 2024, the fee for a Licence is $150.00, Canadian funds. (Cash or Canadian Debit ONLY). Once issued, a marriage licence is non-refundable and only valid in Ontario for three (3) months.


Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to obtain a Licence. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' consent (or parent with custody of minor). No person under the age of 16 years may be married.

Identification Required

Two pieces of ORIGINAL identification are required. One piece MUST be a birth certificate or current passport. Second piece of identification MUST be government issued photo identification e.g. Driver's Licence, Age of Majority Card or Passport for both parties. However, Ontario or provincial Health Cards will not be accepted. Both parties must complete and sign an Application Form. However, if both parties are not able to apply in person for the Marriage Licence, one person may apply for the Licence but must bring in the completed Application form signed by both parties along with two pieces of identification as specified above.

Divorce or Annulment

If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in Canada, the Applicant is to file with the Issuer the original or a Court Certified Copy of their final divorce papers (Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute). If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the Applicant should speak to an Issuer of Marriage Licences to receive additional requirements.

Period during which licence is valid

A Marriage Licence is valid anywhere in ONTARIO for a period of three (3) months from the date of issuance.

Additional Information

If any person whose consent is required is unavailable or refuses to consent, an application may be made to a judge, in Canada, to dispense with consent.

A person whose previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled will require:

  • If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or court-certified copy of the final decree dissolving or annulling the marriage; or
  • If the marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the applicants must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:
    P.O. BOX 4600, 189 RED RIVER ROAD
  • A completed marriage licence application signed by both applicants.
  • A copy of the decree of divorce or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted) or sealed by the court. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a certified translation.
  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank affidavits are available from the issuer of Marriage Licences.
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.
  • Where a spouse has died, proof of death of the spouse must be provided if death occurred outside Ontario.

NOTE:  In order to be married in Ontario, you must first obtain a marriage licence AND then also have a ceremony performed by an authorized official.

Who may perform a marriage ceremony

A marriage ceremony in Ontario may be performed by:

  • A minister or member of the clergy registered under the Marriage Act
  • A judge or justice of the peace
  • The City Clerk, or his/her delegate(s), registered under the Marriage Act

Civil Ceremony

Please see our Civil Marriage Ceremony page for information.

On-line Marriage Licence Application Form

The City of Niagara Falls has developed an on-line application form that will allow you to fill out your marriage licence application and upon arrival to City Hall, your information can be retrieved. When you have finished filling out the form, click the "Save and Submit" button to save your application. If you do not click this button, the application will not be saved.

If you have any questions about obtaining a Marriage Licence, please visit our Marriage Licence Frequently Asked Questions page.

Complete the Marriage Licence Application Form 


Clerks Department
By Phone: 905-356-7521 ext. 0
By Fax: 905-356-9083
E-Mail: [email protected]

City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street, Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Canada L2E 6X5