Oak Hall

Name: OAK HALL
Address: 7400-7500 PORTAGE RD
Original Owner: SIR HARRY OAKES
Year Constructed: 1928

Architect Name:
Architectural Style:
Builder Name:
Designated: No

Image Gallery

  • Front
  • Gatehouse1
  • Gatehouse2
  • rear
  • rear2
  • End-North
  • End-North2
  • rear3
  • rear 4
  • Front South end
  • South end
  • Close up of south end
  • close up of north end
  • Setting
  • Full view

Historical Notes

MAGNATE AND PHILANTHROPIST HARRY OAKES BUILT HIS HALL AROUND A PORTION OF CLARK HILL, A MANSION DATING FROM THE 1850'S. THE OAKES FAMILY LIVED THERE UNTIL 1934. THE HALL WAS A R.C.A.F. CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR AND WAS PURCHASED BY NIAGARA PARKS IN 1959

Architectural Notes

BUILT AT A COST OF $500,000, THE MANSION EXHIBITS THE PERPENDICULAR OR TUDOR GOTHIC STYLE. ITS 130 FOOT FACADE FEATURES A PORTE-COCHERE WITH TUDOR ARCHES AT THE ENTRANCE, PROJECTING GABLES WITH RAKING PARAPETS AND LEADED WINDOWS, SOME WITH OGEE ARCHES. INSIDE IS THE GREAT HALL AND MANY OTHER ROOMS DECORATED WITH CARVED WOOD PANLES.

Return to the property list

Location

Full Interactive Mapping of 7400-7500 Portage Road