Post Office/Customs House

Name: POST OFFICE/CUSTOMS HOUSE
Address: 4177 PARK ST
Original Owner: GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
Year Constructed: 1885

Architect Name: THOMAS FULLER
Architectural Style:
Builder Name:
Designated: Yes - 2/6/1978
By-law: 7825

Image Gallery

  • Front

Historical Notes

ORIGINALLY KNOWN AS THE DOMINION PUBLIC BUILDING, IT WAS DESIGNED BY GOVERNMENT ARCHITECT THOMAS FULLER (WHO DESIGNED THE FIRST PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS IN OTTAWA), AND WAS CONSTRUCTED AT A COST OF $30,000. IT SERVED AS POST OFFICE (1885-1930), CUSTOMS HOUSE (1885-1952) AND THE LOCAL POLICE STATION (1952-1976). ADDRESS CHANGE REQUESTED IN JAN 2003 - FORMERLY KNOWN AS 4582 ZIMMERMAN

Architectural Notes

THIS STRUCTURE IS AN IMPRESSIVE EXAMPLE OF LATE 19TH CENTURY PUBLIC ARCHITECTURE. IT EXHIBITS THE DETAILED, CUT AND FINISHED LIMESTONE CONSTRUCTION OF THAT PERIOD, WITH MASSIVE ROUND-HEADED ARCHWAYS, QUOINS, HEAVY STRINGCOURSES AND DIAMOND PATTERNING ON THE GABLES

Return to the property list

Location

Full Interactive Mapping of 4177 Park Street