WRAP Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need a Building Permit for the WRAP Program?

    Yes. You must get a building permit in order to be eligible for WRAP funding. The homeowner should take out the permit. Visit the Building Department at City Hall to start the building permit process. The property owners can designate their contractor to apply for the permit on their behalf. If you have been approved for WRAP funding, the cost of the Building Permit for that work will be covered under the program. Bring proof of your approval for WRAP funding to show the Building Department staff when you apply for your permit. A copy of the Building Permit must be included with the final invoice in order for the subsidy to be processed.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • How long will my sump pump last?

    It depends on how often the sump pump is in use. The average sump pump lasts for 10 years but some sump pumps have been known to last for 20 years. Regular maintenance will extend the life of your sump pump.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • I don't know if my weeping tile is connected to the sanitary sewer. I don't know if I even have weeping tile at all. How do I find out?

    Please see the application on the Weeping-tile Removal Assistance Program page. Submit your application. Staff will call you to book an appointment.  A WRAP technician will visit your home and investigate your sanitary sewer service line for a potential weeping tile connection. There is no charge to the homeowner for this appointment. The appointment will take about 45 minutes. Please take the time to learn more about the WRAP program. 

    Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • I have installed a sump pump and a backwater valve but I still flooded. Why?

    Installing a sump pump and a backwater valve will reduce your risk but it is not a guarantee. You may still experience basement flooding. Some of the reasons you experience basement flooding are:- Ground water leaks through cracks in your foundation wall or basement window wells. - A severe storm where the volume of rain or snow melt overwhelms the capacity of the sewer. Property Owners should refrain from using water and plumbing fixtures during severe rainstorms since the flows may not be able to enter the sanitary sewer and may back up in the basement through floor drains, shower and low elevation openings. - Your back water valve is closed due to an impending sewer back up but the water in the house is running (taps, toilets, washing machines, dishwashers). Never run the water when the back water valve is closed. The valve will open up on its own once the water in the sewer recedes. Only then should you use your water as you normally would. You can look at your backwater valve to see if the flap is open or closed. Sewers may back-up due to damaged or plugged laterals or clogs in the main sewer. - Never flush anything down the toilet other than toilet paper. - Never pour grease down your kitchen sink. Please click here for more information on the effects of fat, oil and grease in the sewer system. - Your private lateral could be cracked or damaged. Replace your lateral to avoid tree roots from growing through the joints and cracks.- Sagging, broken or collapsed pipes can lead to build-up and blockages in the pipe.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Is it the City's Contractor that installs the WRAP funded works?

    No. It is up to the homeowner to select and hire the contractor/plumber to perform the necessary work under the program. It is up to the homeowner to satisfy themselves and confirm that the contractor they hire is a licensed professional with the necessary certification to satisfy the requirements of the Building Permit process. The City can, upon request, supply a list of plumbers that have attended Plumber Information Sessions put on by the City for the WRAP program and have a thorough understanding of the program requirements and limits.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Once I install a sump pump and a backwater valve can the City guarantee that I will never flood again?

    No. Installing a sump pump and a backwater valve will reduce your risk but it is not a guarantee. You may still experience basement flooding.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Through the WRAP program, can I get a backwater valve installed only?

    You are eligible for WRAP funding for a Backwater valve only if:-Your home has a documented history with the City of prior basement flooding (at least 2 within the last 5 years or 3 within the last 10 years), or-Your home is located within a flood prone area as designated by the City.The purpose of the WRAP funding program is to reduce the amount of rain water entering the City's sanitary sewer system that eventually gets treated at the treatment plant. A back water valve will help protect you from flooding risk, but it is the weeping tile disconnection that will help protect all your neighbours from a possible sewage back-up.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What does the backwater valve do? How does it work?

    Backwater valves are also referred to as "backflow prevention valves" or backflow preventer valves". It is a hinged flap in the sewer pipe that only opens in one direction. It is oriented to be ordinarily open and allow wastewater to flow freely out of your house. However, if there is a back-up in either the sewer in the street or your sanitary service lateral, the flap will close preventing the wastewater to flood back into your basement. As such, a properly operating backwater valve will reduce the risk of basement flooding in your home. It should be installed in your basement at the exit point of your sanitary service lateral from the home or building. Any fixture or device that is located beyond, or downstream, of the backwater valve is not protected and is at risk of backing up with sewage. Currently there is only one type of backwater valve that is accepted by the Ontario Building Code. It must be a "normally open design" valve. A "normally open" design allows unobstructed sewage flow and allows cleaning tools to pass through the body. The valve is installed in-line on your sanitary service lateral complete with a pit or box with an access lid or hatch to allow for inspection and maintenance. It is not recommended that you cover, hinder or eliminate access to the backwater valve. Under the current terms and conditions of the WRAP funding program your plumber must install either a Mainline Fullport valve or Mainline ML-FR4 Backwater valve, otherwise the City will not reimburse the cost of the installation. Please click here for more information on the Mainline Fullport Backwater Valve.

    Please click here for more information on the Mainline ML-FR4 Backwater Valve.

    Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What else can I do to prepare for a flood?

    Visit the City's webpage for Severe Weather and Emergencies for more information on what you can do to prepare for a flood.The Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR) is an excellent resource for information and tips on reducing the risk of basement flooding. Please visit their website at www.basementfloodreduction.com for more information or to download their "Handbook for Reducing Basement Flooding."Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What is a 100-year storm? Does that mean such a storm comes only once a century?

    Actually, no. A 100-year storm refers to rainfall totals that have a 1% probability of occurring at that location in that year. Encountering a 100-year storm on one day does not decrease the chance of a second 100-year storm occurring in that same year or any year to follow. In other words, there is a 1 in 100 or 1% chance that a storm will reach this intensity in any given year.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What is a sanitary sewer service or sanitary lateral?

    A sanitary sewer service (or sanitary lateral) is the underground pipe that carries wastewater or sewage from private property to the City's main sewer. The property line is the delineating mark to determine what portion of the lateral is owned by the homeowner or by the City.Categories: Municipal Works, Sewer Lateral, WRAP

  • What is a Sewer Lateral?

    A sewer lateral is a pipe that is connected from your house to the City's sewer system located in the street. The sewer lateral pipe transfers all of the wastewater produced from your household into the City's sanitary sewer.Categories: Municipal Works, Sewer Lateral, WRAP

  • What is a sump pit?

    A sump pit is simply a hole in your basement or crawl space designed to collect water from your foundation drainage system. Once the water in the sump pit reaches a certain height, a flotation device attached to the sump pump is lifted and the sump pump turns on automatically, pumping the water in the pit away from your house. Once the level in the pit recedes down to a certain point, the flotation device sinks and automatically shuts off the sump pump.

    Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What is a sump pump and why is it used?

    A sump pump is a pump used to remove ground water that has accumulated in a collecting basin, or sump pit, commonly found in the basement of homes. Sump pumps will pump water accumulated in the sump pit up to the ground surface and away from your home. The sump pump discharge is to outlet onto the ground surface or be directly connected (where permitted) to the municipal storm drainage system. In older homes, some sump pumps may currently discharge to the sanitary sewer service, or sewer lateral. This practice violates City By-law No. 2010-61. The City of Niagara Falls urges homeowners to disconnect and eliminate any foundation or rooftop drainage connections from the sanitary sewer system. Many homeowners have inherited their sump pump configuration and do not realize that the pump discharges to the sanitary sewer. 

    Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What is the City doing to resolve the problem of its aging infrastructure?

    Unfortunately, 30%-40% of the City still has the dated combined sewers found, naturally, in the older sections of the City.The costs to separate all these combined sewers found, naturally, in the older sections of the City. The costs to separate all of these combined sewers is in the neighbourhood of $100 million.The City is moving forward with an aggressive plan to eliminate combined sewers, but the number of combined sewers dictates that this will be a long term implementation scheme.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter, WRAP

  • What is the difference between a storm sewer, a sanitary and a combined sewer?

    The city sewer system consists of storm sewers, sanitary sewers and combined sewers.

    Storm Sewers:
    - Collect rain water and snow melt from the surface of the land, streets and roofs and direct it untreated into rivers, lakes and streams.
    - It is only intended to carry unpolluted surface and groundwater drainage.Sanitary Sewers:
    - Designed to carry sewage to the wastewater treatment plant for treatment and disposal.
    - This includes the water from toilets, sinks, baths, and washing machines.Combined Sewers:- Collects sanitary sewage and storm water run-off in a single pipe system.
    - This type of sewer is no longer permitted in new developments, but can still be found in older areas.
    - Can cause water pollution problems due to combined sewer overflows when sewers become overwhelmed during a rainstorm.
    - The City of Niagara Falls invests capital funding into its infrastructure budget each year and is dedicated to removing combined sewers and replacing them with separate sanitary and storm sewer systems.
    Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What is the Weeping Tile Removal Assistance Program (WRAP)?

    The Weeping Tile Removal Assistance Program is offered by the City of Niagara Falls to provide funding for homeowners to disconnect their weeping tiles from the sanitary sewer system, and to install a sump pump and backwater valve.The current maximum amount of the funding available per application is $3,900 (including HST).Please visit the WRAP webpage for more information.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What is Weeping Tile?

    Weeping Tile is also known as foundation drain.Weeping-tile is typically a perforated pipe underground drainage system for the foundation and basement walls of your home and is located adjacent to or below the foundation. Weeping-tile is primarily found on homes constructed since 1946 and on some homes prior. Weeping-tile connections to the residential sanitary sewer service were an accepted practice up until 1989.The City of Niagara Falls urges homeowners to disconnect and re-route weeping tile away from sanitary sewers or combined sewers.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What kind of back-up does the pump have? What happens if the power goes out?

    Your sump pump would normally operate on electrical power (it is plugged into an electrical outlet). In the case of a power outage, it is strongly recommended that a pump with a back-up power source be in place. The WRAP program funds the supply and installation of your choice of either a battery operated or a water pressure powered back-up pump:- Battery operated back-up pump: Switches to the battery pump when the power goes out. - Water powered back-up pump: Powered by your local water supply instead of electricity and depends on your home's water pressure for pumping capacity.If you have an older model sump pump it is suggested that you install a back-up sump pump.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • What will happen if my weeping tile is connected to the sanitary sewer but I choose not to disconnect it?

    Please review City By-law No. 2010-61. If it is discovered that your weeping tile is connected to the sanitary sewer then your property will be included on file with the City and you may be required to disconnect it in the future or face possible fines.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Where should the sump pump discharge to?

    The sump pump should discharge to the front or rear yard onto your lawn and away from your foundation. Do not discharge the pipe onto driveways and sidewalks as this could create a slip and fall risk in the winter months.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Who can I contact about having my weeping tile disconnected?

    You can contact the City of Niagara Falls, Infrastructure Section between the office hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to schedule an appointment to have your sewer lateral inspected.

    Phone: (905) 356-7521 Ext. 4211/4212 Email: [email protected]Categories: Municipal Works, Sewer Lateral, WRAP

  • Who is responsible for maintaining sump pump and backwater valve equipment once it is installed?

    The homeowner is responsible for maintaining the backwater valve and sump pump. 

    Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Why do I need to disconnect my weeping tile from the sanitary sewer?

    The purpose of weeping tile is to collect surface and ground water and keep it away from the basement walls and foundation of your home. When it is connected directly to your sanitary sewer service, it increases the flow volume in the sewers during snow melts and rain storms. It is preferred instead that this be directed to your lawn surface away from the house where it can be absorbed naturally by the ground or flow into the stormwater drainage system.Disconnecting the weeping tile from the sanitary or combined sewers will:- Reduce the risk of the sanitary sewer overloading, which could result in sewage backing up into homes. - Reduce sewage over-flows into the natural environment. - Reduce sewage treatment costs.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP

  • Will the City pay to fix any interior finishing and outdoor landscaping that may be required as a result of the WRAP work?

    No. Under the terms and conditions of the WRAP funding the homeowner is responsible for this. Reimbursement will not be provided for replacing interior finishes, such as drywall, paint or flooring or for exterior restoration, such as landscaping, gardening, sod, trees, porches, decks, concrete or asphalt.Following installation, the Property Owner will own and be responsible for the ongoing operation and maintenance of all equipment installed as part of the work, including any associated costs.It is very important that you read each of the terms and conditions so that you understand completely the responsibilities of the homeowner, your plumber, and the City. The WRAP program is technical in nature. If you have any plumbing technical questions please ask your plumber. You may also call the City's Infrastructure Technician at 905-356-7521 ext. 4103 for more information.Categories: Municipal Works, WRAP