Water Meter Frequently Asked Questions

  • Have the meters in Niagara Falls homes been accurate?

    There have been relatively few problems with the meters. In fact, the meters in homes probably under read by 3%. This is an allowable standard and is factored in when setting rates for water consumption.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter

  • How can I check for a leaky toilet?

    Go to the toilet tank and listen for running water. Place some food dye in the tank at the back of the toilet bowl and if the colouring makes it way into the bowl, providing no one used the toilet, then the toilet is leaking water. For more details view this brochure.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter

  • How can I tell if I have a water leak?

    The easiest way to determine if there is a leak is to make sure all the taps are turned off in the house and that there is no water being used (including humidifiers, air conditioners and ice machine).Go to your water meter and if the red triangle located on the top of the meter is moving then there is a leak somewhere in the plumbing. This brochure will assist you.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter

  • I hardly use any water yet my consumption is high. Why?

    You may have a leak in your plumbing or a running toilet. Certain activities like doing many loads of laundry contribute inordinately to consumption rates.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter

  • What can I do to decrease my water consumption?

    Use low flow shower nozzle. According to Environment Canada, a low flow showerhead can decrease one's consumption by 50% or more. Do not use the toilet to dispose of dry waste.Keep a daily log of how you are using water (i.e., lawn watering, car washing, how many times the toilet is used, how many showers are taken in a day and how much laundry is being done) and reduce the frequency if possible.Use a bucket with a sponge plus a trigger nozzle on the hose to wash your vehicle. Compared to running hose, you will save about 300 litres of water. Make sure you are doing a full load of laundry and the dishwasher is full when you use it.

    Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter

  • What is 26 Cubic Meters?

    One cubic meter = 1,000 litres. 1,000 litres = 220 gallons. At 220 gallons per meter, 26 cubic meters = 5,720 gallons.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter

  • What is the City doing to resolve the problem of its aging infrastructure?

    Unfortunately, 30%-40% of the City still has the dated combined sewers found, naturally, in the older sections of the City.The costs to separate all these combined sewers found, naturally, in the older sections of the City. The costs to separate all of these combined sewers is in the neighbourhood of $100 million.The City is moving forward with an aggressive plan to eliminate combined sewers, but the number of combined sewers dictates that this will be a long term implementation scheme.Categories: Municipal Works, Water Meter, WRAP

  • Where can I buy a new bulk water card?

    Bulk water cards may be purchased through the Water Department, located at our Municipal Service Centre (3200 Stanley Avenue).  For more information, call 905-356-1355 ext 6322.

    Categories: Drinking Water, Municipal Works, Water Billing, Water Meter

  • Who owns and is responsible for water and sewer servicing?

    Property owners own and are responsible for all of the water and sewer services and plumbing from property line all the way into their home.
    This means that any leaks or pipe failures that occur on private property are the responsibility of the owner. This includes any failure of the inside water shut off valve before the water meter as well as any piping or connections to the water meter.
    The water meter belongs to the City but is paid for by the property owner (through initial installation or building permit). It is the property owners responsibility to ensure the meter is kept in an appropriate environment that will not allow damage to occur to the meter, such as freezing temperatures. Damaged or frozen meters due to misuse are to be paid by the property owner.
    The curb stop is at the property line and is the responsibility of the City unless it is damaged after the subdivision inspection.Categories: Municipal Works, Sewer Lateral, Water Meter