Marriage Licences Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I get married at City Hall?

    Yes. The City of Niagara Falls is pleased to offer Civil Marriage Ceremonies at City Hall in our Council Chambers. Arrangements can also be made to hold the ceremony on the grounds outside of City Hall. All you need is an Ontario Marriage Licence, which you can get from the office of the City Clerk, first floor, 4310 Queen Street, Niagara Falls. Due to the civil nature of the service, the Clerk has no authority to perform ceremonies of a religious nature.  Further detailed information can be found under our "civil marriage ceremony" section on the website.

    Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Can I pick up a Marriage Licence for someone else?

    No. A Marriage Licence can only be issued to the Applicant and/or Joint Applicant with both of the Applicants signature on the application and both applicants applicable identification.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Can same-sex couples obtain a Marriage Licence?

    Yes. All information pertaining to marriage licence information on this site also applies to same-sex marriages in Ontario.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Can you apply for a marriage licence and get married on the same day?

    Yes, you can; however, please allow ample time. If documentation or identification is not in order you could add hours to the processing time or worse, you could be denied the issuance of a licence. American couples should also be cognizant of possible travel or bridge delays.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Do both applicants have to be present to obtain a Marriage Licence?

    No. However, a Marriage Licence can only be issued to the Applicant and/or Joint Applicant with both of the Applicants signatures on the application and both applicants applicable identification must be presented even if only one applicant is present.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Do I need a Marriage Licence if I'm having my Banns Read in Church?

    You do not not need a marriage licence if you are having your banns read in a church and the banns are being registered with the Ontario Government. Please check with your Minister/Priest or see if the Banns are available to be read for your marriage ceremony in place of purchasing a marriage licence.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • How can I obtain a copy of my Marriage Certificate?

    If you have been married in the province of Ontario, you may apply for an official government copy of your marriage certificate from the Office of the Registrar General, 12 weeks after the ceremony has taken place. The application for this certificate can be obtained by clicking on the Request for Marriage Certificates link or picked up at the City Clerk's office at City Hall. Further information regarding the Marriage Certificate are available from the Provincial government at or by calling the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay, Ontario at 1-800-461-2156.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • How Do I Change My Documents to my Spouse's Surname After Marriage?

    Once you are married, YOU DO NOT LEGALLY NEED TO CHANGE YOUR SURNAME ON YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE. You can ASSUME your spouse's surname and change all your documents to your chosen surname with the Certificate  of Marriage which you must apply for 3 months after your date of marriage from You must change each document individually - such as S.I.N. Card, Driver's Licence, Bank Accounts, Health Cards, etc. - by contacting each agency. Most agencies will require a copy of the Certificate of Marriage to accomplish this.

    Categories: Marriage Licences

  • How long does it take to obtain a Marriage Licence?

    Provided ALL requirements are met, a marriage licence can be issued in less than 30 minutes and used immediately or up to 90 days later, anywhere in the Province of Ontario.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • How old must I be to get a Marriage Licence?

    Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to obtain a Licence. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' consent (or parent with custody of minor). No person under the age of 16 years may be married.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Is a Blood Test Required?

    Blood Tests or Medical Certificates are not required in Ontario.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Legal Change of Surname?

    There is an option for parties of a marriage to legally change their surname, which would in effect, amend their original birth registration, replacing their last name on that record with their new last name while retaining the last name at birth in brackets. The spouse elects this option under the Change of Name Act, completes the appropriate forms and submits these to the Office of the Registrar General. If the person is born in Ontario, the birth registration is notated, and a birth certificate in the new name is issued, as well as a change of name certificate. If this is done within 90 days of the marriage, there is no charge. These forms can be obtained by contacting the ORG at 1-800-461-2156 or 416-965-1687. If the spouse wishes to return to the use of his/her former name, they must apply once more for a change of name.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Residency

    There are no residency or citizenship requirements.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • What Identification is Required?

    We require identification for BOTH APPLICANTS in the form of:
    A current passport (which includes a photo)

    • an original birth certificate
    • PLUS
    • one piece of government-issued photo identification, i.e. driver's licence, permanent resident card, Ontario Health Card (with photo), Canadian Citizenship card

    This is required for both applicants.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • What is required if either of the Applicants have been Divorced in Canada?

    If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in Canada, the Applicant is to file with the Clerk's Office the original or a Court Certified Copy of their final divorce papers (Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute). A Divorce Judgment is not acceptable.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • What is Required if either of the Applicants have been Divorced outside of Canada?

    If an Applicant has been granted a Divorce or an Annulment in a jurisdiction other than Canada, the Applicant(s) must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:

    • A completed marriage licence application signed by both applicants.
    • A copy of the decree of divorce or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted) or sealed by the court. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a certified translation.
    • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank affidavits are available from the issuer of Marriage Licences.
    • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario.
    Categories: Marriage Licences

  • What is required if I am a Widow/Widower?

    Where a spouse has died, proof of death of the spouse must be provided if death occurred outside of the Province of Ontario.Categories: Marriage Licences

  • What is the cost of a Marriage Licence?

    The fee for a Licence is $125.00, Canadian funds. (Cash or Canadian Debit ONLY).Categories: Marriage Licences

  • Where and When can I get a Marriage Licence?

    They are available from the City Clerk's Office: 4310 Queen Street Niagara Falls, ON CanadaMonday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EXCLUDING HOLIDAYS.Categories: Marriage Licences