Change Your Clocks – Change Your Batteries

Niagara Falls, ON, March 10, 2016 – Will there be a fire in your home tonight? No one knows the answer to that question because we never expect fires to happen, however, by ensuring smoke alarms are working, your chances of surviving a fire improve drastically. That is why the Niagara Falls Fire Department is encouraging residents to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms this Sunday when they spring their clocks forward for daylight savings time.

“A simple battery replacement and quick test of the smoke alarm today could be the different between life and death tomorrow” stated Ben Trendle, Captain of Fire Prevention. “Making sure the batteries are new and working is an important part of being safe in your home” added Trendle who encourages residents to change the batteries this weekend they change their clocks.

“The small cost of a new battery and having working some and carbon monoxide alarms will significantly increase a person’s safety and chances of surviving a fire in their home,” explained Trendle.

In order to survive a fire you need to be provided with early earning and know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds. Also, carbon monoxide alarms are the only way to detect the deadly gas in our homes. It’s the law to have working some alarms on every story of the home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are also required outside each sleeping area.

In rental properties, landlords are required to ensure alarms are in operating condition and tenants are required to report any issues to their landlords immediately. Tampering with, removing batteries or failing to install a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm is against the law.

For more information, contact:

Ben Trendle
Captain – Fire Prevention, Niagara Falls Fire Department
Phone: 905-356-7521 ext 2211

Posted on: 3/10/2016 2:37 PM - Category: Media Releases