Help Niagara Falls to be recognized as a Youth Friendly Community!
The City of Niagara Falls is applying to be recognized as a Youth Friendly Community and we need your help! In order to be recognized as a Play Works Youth Friendly Community, Niagara Falls must demonstrate the community’s investment into youth play and to ensuring that opportunities are available for youth to grow and develop.
Why Apply to be Recognized?
The Youth Friendly Communities application process is a great way to bring the community together and compile a snapshot of the current youth opportunities in Niagara Falls. The process will allow the city to showcase the many amazing youth programs and services that Niagara Falls has to offer while also identifying any gaps in services and opportunities.
What is Play Works?
Play Works is a group of organizations concerned about the future of our youth. They represent the areas of sport, physical activity, civic engagement, arts and culture, rural youth, and recreation. They have joined forces to bring back the power of play to Ontario youth and are dedicated to advancing play for 13 - 19 year olds on local and provincial public and political agendas. The Play Works Youth Friendly Community Recognition Program is funded by the Ontario Trillium Fund.
For more information about the Play Works Youth Friendly Community Program, please visit http://yfc.playworkspartnership.ca/
Play Works Definitions of Youth and Play
- Youth: Ages 13 through 19
- Play: Programs/initiatives that include elements of recreation, sport, arts/culture, drama/dance/music, volunteerism, and/or leadership development
Play Works Criteria to be Recognized
For the designation, our community needs to meet a minimum of 7 of the following 10 criteria:
- Youth have options for play
- Youth are formally connected community-wide
- It is easy for youth to find information about play activities in the community
- The community recognizes and celebrates youth
- The community formally commits funding for youth play
- The community supports Positive Youth Development
- Youth feel valued by their community
- Schools and school boards support the Youth Friendly approach
- Play is accessible to youth
- Play is socially inclusive
How can the community help?
The City of Niagara Falls is looking to gather information about ALL youth opportunities, formal and informal, being provided in Niagara Falls during the 2020 calendar year.
Organizations, faith groups, clubs, and individuals all contribute to the diversity of programs and services available for youth.
YOU CAN HELP by sharing information and by spreading the word!
If you can contribute information to help us meet any of the criteria, please contact Beth Angle (contact below) by September 18th.
PLEASE NOTE programs and services that were interrupted due to COVID-19 remain eligible for inclusion in the application.
We look forward to hearing from you and coming together as a community to complete the application to be recognized as a Youth Friendly Community.
Beth Angle, Community Development Coordinator
City of Niagara Falls, Recreation & Culture Department
Phone: 905-356-7521 x 3336
Email: [email protected]