Volunteers Make it Happen!!
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer. The Niagara Falls Santa Claus Parade would not be possible without our many valuable volunteers!
There are many reasons why people volunteer. Here are a few reasons:
- To have fun!
- To meet new friends!
- To gain valuable experience!
- To get involved in the community!
- To receive Community Service Hours!
- To give back to the community!
- To be a mentor!
How do I volunteer?
Please complete the Volunteer Form.
Please contact Lori Albanese at 905-356-7521, ext. 3332 or email
Parade Set Up & Staging (7am - 11am)
This is for all the early risers, who just like on Christmas Day, cannot wait to get up for the festivities! Your tasks will include set up duties, staging and organizing of the Parades entries. With these tasks you will help in Parade preparation and ensure that the Parade is well organized from the get go.
Parade Marshalls (10am - 12:30pm)
You will be our informal source of info for all the excited and eager members of the public. You will ensure crowds are kept within a safe distance from the parade entries and handle questions regarding direction, donations, and the parade route, all of which are areas we will inform you about before hand.
Banner Carriers (10am - 12:30pm)
Big Smiles for all the local television and photo cameras! As a banner carrier you will be one of the first entries people notice, along with the banner being carried by yourself and your team partner. You also are an important Parade participant in helping to maintain a steady and comfortable pace.
Mascots & Handlers (10am - 12:30pm)
Lots of energy and a love for people? Try being a mascot for the day since everyone, especially the kids, loves to see the various Parade mascots in action! Along with each mascot is a handler whose responsibility is to be the eyes and pacer for the mascot, who will most definitely be busy with the crowd.
Parade Evaluation (10am - 12:30pm)
Feedback is a very important tool in order to continue or improve the event for the future. Your duties will involve interaction with the spectators of the Parade, as well distributing a quick Parade Evaluation with some simple and direct questions about the experience, and any comments or suggestions for next year’s Parade.
Santa Meet & Greet (12:30pm - 2:30pm)
Always wanted to be an elf? Well now is your chance! You have an important role helping Santa! Your responsibility will involve directing those wishing to meet Santa to the lineup, waiting their turn and answering different questions from the public.
Miscellaneous Duties (7am - 12:30pm)
With so many exciting things going on, there are always miscellaneous tasks and areas which can use an extra hand. Duties within this position would include parking lot control, handing out Parade certificates to the Parade participants, assisting in set up, crowd control along the Parade route, or possibly jumping in as an extra mascot in the Parade. Wherever it is you are needed, you will play an important role to help the Parade and activities run smoothly and safely.
Volunteer Code of Conduct
We believe that volunteers are a valuable resource and play a very important role in meeting our mission to provide optimum leisure services which enhance the quality of life, health and well-being of our people, our community, our environment and our economy.
Definition of a Volunteer within the City of Niagara Falls
A "volunteer" is anyone who without compensation performs a task at the direction of and on behalf of the City of Niagara Falls. They must be officially accepted by the City prior to performance of the task. Volunteers shall not be considered as "employees" of the City of Niagara Falls.
We Commit to our Volunteers by:
- Providing you with a detailed, current volunteer position description that outlines your volunteer role;
- Creating an environment where there is open communication, a sense of teamwork and respect for diversity and individuality between volunteers and staff;
- Providing community service hours;
- Recognizing you for your contributions and accomplishments
As a City of Niagara Falls Recreation & Culture Volunteer, we expect Volunteers to:
- Participate in a mandatory training and orientation with a Recreation & Culture staff member;
- Act as an ambassador for The City of Niagara Falls, Recreation and Culture Department
- Promote a team atmosphere by respecting individual differences, valuing diversity of opinion and working with others to achieve the goals of our organization
- Providing an exceptional quality, service to our community by being friendly, informed and respectful
- Dressing in a fashion that provides a clean appearance, that is appropriate for the event and weather;
- Sign in when you arrive at your volunteer location
- Have a positive attitude while volunteering!
Benefits of Volunteering
A benefit to volunteering can include, but not limited to social interaction (staff, volunteers and community members), community involvement and development of new skills and professional contacts.
This is a great opportunity to collect community service hours. If you wish to collect volunteer hours, please contact Lori Albanese at the City of Niagara Falls at 905-356-7521 ext. 3332. Anyone under the age of 18 years of age must have parental or guardian consent to volunteer.
Safety & Conduct
- Volunteers are prohibited to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while performing volunteer duties and representing the City of Niagara Falls.
- Volunteers are expected to comply with the policies, expectations and directions given by City of Niagara Falls staff to ensure both personal safety and success of the event.
- Volunteers are expected to act in an appropriate and respectful manner with other volunteers, staff and the community.
- Any volunteer disregarding the Code of Conduct may be asked to forfeit their volunteer position, be subject to disciplinary action and/or asked to exit the premises.
The City of Niagara Falls would like to thank you for your time, dedication and hard work in volunteering! With our combined efforts, we have the power to bring positive change within our community.